How have or are people living on their own coping, or not, with lockdown?

Thanks… I find mindfullness really helpful and so simple to follow…I know things take time and practice will help…
I’ve just bought a sewing machine that’s my challenge for the winter to keep me busy
…plus I’m hoping to try a bit of cycling…just round the neighbourhood. Had a bike for 30 yrs hardly used… just need to put air in the tyres. I bought yrs bike when I lived in London use to cycle to work when I lived in South London…

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63, I am impressed, please let us know how you get on.

How’s the cycling going and how are you and your mum?

1 Like

Cycling hasn’t started yet best of intentions but I haven’t been out yet. I’ve been doing yoga most days so.not completely lazy.
My mum’s doing ok…she’s plodding along she can’t lift any thing. But is mobile…gets up and down the stairs ok…I’ve bought her a kettle that tilts so she can make tea…which has been a god send…
I’m ok I myself…medications working keeps my platelets in check…but I have to admit I do feel very alone… we are having a quiet Christmas. I’ve donated to two animal and wild life sanctuaries near me…rather than spend loads on presents …just felt the right thing to do…
Take care

2 Likes

Yes, @Hmc63, it is a very different year this year and thanks for your idea of making a donation to charity instead of presents.
As for your feelings of being very alone, I agree and perhaps exacerbated by the ‘happy families’ image in the media.
I always get quite reflective around this time anyway thinking of people and years past.
Your mum seems to be doing well, within her limitations.
I am glad you are still doing your yoga and now you have made the commitment on here I am sure you will start cycling soon !!!
Even having a quiet Christmas you can spoil yourselves.
We will be supporting each other, as always, over the holiday period on our forum.
How are others coping during these uncertain times?

1 Like

Lovely to hear from you. The donations are a great idea. I keep to mean starting yoga - perhaps a new year resolution for me! It really is a hard time of year isn’t it and I can understand that feeling of loneliness. We are all here for you X

1 Like

Thanks…I find most solice when I wake up about 530 most mornings… cup of tea…see to the dog then just read a while…sets me up for the day… think it’s all the times when id get up for a 6am shift 30 yrs of routine …stays with you… Dog makes a difference he’s a good listener. Another good distraction is an audio book …I.love reading but sometimes feel tired. Something about some one telling a story and listening… hope everyone is ok…

2 Likes

I’m with you on the audio books. I love listening to them when I’m driving. Stops my mind drifting off to places I don’t want it to! I think pets are so important to people, especially now. They offer so much!

1 Like

I’m quite used to lockdown, after the initial restrictions in March I’ve, which did curtail me getting out and about my only social life is my chemotherapy therapy cycles, 5 days in every 28.
Im 76 and live alone but I don’t mind my own company.
I read a lot, watch a bit of tv now and then.
As I have peripheral vascular Disease I have to walk a lot to prevent it getting worse(there is no cure).
With Myelodisplasia my immune system is not good so I have to avoid contact with other people, so I walk up and down in my small flat. I can go into a trance like state as it’s terribly boring, I’m up very early 4am ish and walked 7 miles( with a break for breakfast and shower etc) before 8.30.
Some of you may have read Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, there is a character in it, Durham who cultivated boredom which I’ve done.
It’s just adapting yourself to a different lifestyle which works for me.
Best wishes to you all
Anthony

1 Like

Wow, @Blackhat, 7 miles is absolutely brilliant, especially with your peripheral vascular disease. I really admire you.
I go by my steps and I am not doing very well walking in our flat although it is a long flat and I always seem to be doing something.
My hours Pilates exercise hardly adds to my steps at all.
I love my early morning walk, just over an hour walking fast round a local rec, always something to see and the sky can be stunning.
Needless to say my icing on the cake is my cordless Walkman and my wonderful music collection playing.
At the moment I have a pulled ham string so I am not getting my fresh air.
Yes, it is adapting and remembering we are the lucky ones.
Stay safe.

1 Like

I thinking adapting is what we’ve all had to do to some extent isn’t it. However, I think you have done really well and we could all learn something from making changes that benefit our Health. 7 miles is impressive!

1 Like

Thank you Erica and Nicola,
I’m going for 8 miles tomorrow :+1:t2:Maybe 10 by the end of the week.

2 Likes

I’ve been up since 3am, my medication can cause sleep disruption.
Now 6am and I’ve walked 5 miles, on a roll today.
My daughter sent me a Gif from the film Forrest Gump, “run Forrest run”
Maybe we should form an online walking team?
I sympathise with you Erica having Achilles Tendon problems, I had Plantar Faciitis for months and had to use a walking stick for support, very painful!!
I hope it gets better soon :rose:

1 Like

Gosh - I think I need to get myself out of bed! You’ll easily be exceeding that ten miles soon! Might be a new thread to start @Blackhat. Keeping fit in lockdown ?

1 Like

Hi @Blackhat, impressive , and I love the Gif your daughter sent you, I am glad it said Forest and not Gump !!!.
I would join your walking team, but a 3am start is over and above!!

1 Like

@Blackhat wow! I echo everyone here - very impressive :smiley:

It’s really good to hear what has helped everyone during this time, from the early morning walks to the engaging audio books and of course- our lovely furry friend pets :relaxed:

Please do keep sharing!
Su

2 Likes

As we get closer to Christmas I just wondered how we were all doing?

1 Like

I’m ignoring it altogether :clown_face:

2 Likes

Still walking @Blackhat?

1 Like

Oh yes 6 miles before 6am

2 Likes