I’ve been travelling. Am I a bad person?

So I have a confession to make. I spent last weekend in Venice. I could stand it no longer as someone used to going places. It was a bit hit and miss. Airports have very good control measures in place and I had to wear a mask throughout both flights. I was expecting temperature checks to take place but this didn’t happen. There was a form to fill in for the Italian authorities but nobody in Italy asked to see it, I just walked straight through the e-gate as normal. On the way back I had to fill in a form for the UK border online and be able to show the electronic form or print it off and show. The UK border took this very seriously and people who hadn’t done it were turned away. The hotel had excellent measures in place. Venice itself was probably too crowded for most people on this forum but a lot less busy than normal. Mask wearing was enforced strictly in shops and on public transport. Restaurants were generally less than a quarter full so social distancing was easy. I did enjoy the trip but I’m sure it won’t meet with approval from everyone…

3 Likes

@Franko we all have to make choices that are best for us. I have been trying to get out and about more in preparation for returning to work in September. We all fear Covid, but I also fear being ‘locked up’ again. I am sensible, but want to try and have some life whilst I can.

3 Likes

@Franko I admire your adventurous spirit and am a little envious as we went to Venice 20 years ago (last foreign trip before our children flew the nest) and we stayed near the Bridge of Sighs. It was wonderful sitting near the gondolas after the tourists had gone. We had been to Florence and travelled to Venice by train. It was strange looking either side of the carriage and seeing only water as we arrived at the station. I am pleased to have these memories, knowing that circumstances mean that I am unlikely to go abroad again. Go for it!
@SP7 as you say, we have to make our own choices, and balance out the risks. We are going to my daughter’s again this week, before the children return to school. My SIL works for PHE (at the moment) and gets daily stats, and he said there are no cases in their neighbourhood. We will probably just stay in their home and garden. I know I am not going to be around forever…could just as easily be heart problems, an accident or another cancer as covid

2 Likes

Hi @Franko. I agree with @Pisces56 and @SP7 - we make our own decisions and do what’s right for us. You are careful and risk assessed and so, no, I don’t think you did the wrong thing. I think you did what was right for you in a safe way. Just enjoy all of the memories made x

2 Likes

Oh, @Franko, you are certainly not a bad person, we all have personal choices and thanks for having the courage and starting this topic. It sounds as if you took all the precautions you could and followed the rules. You now have some lovely memories and it seems to have given you a boost and another step towards a new normality.

2 Likes

Hi @Franko

I hope you’re doing okay? I hope you had a safe journey too!
I echo a lot of our members within the forum community- it doesn’t at all make you a bad person. If it’s something which is a part of your life- it’s only natural to want to start bringing it back into your life again. It proves you’re human more than anything else.

The most important thing is your safety and well-being. If there’s nothing in the government guidelines advising you not to go, there’s no reason why a person cannot consider making a trip. Though, as always and in a general sense, we would always really encourage anyone thinking of this to check-in with their treatment team beforehand. Not only will this hopefully give you further advice on your own personal level of risk but also help you make a more informed decision. One thing in particular which can be both very helpful and important to talk through with your treatment team, is if say- it’s worst case scenario happened and you may need to stay at your destination longer than intended- how will you ensure you have adequate supply to any medication you’re taking, will you be clear and comfortable in knowing where to get the support you need if it comes to it. These of course, things we don’t want to think about and that’s so understandable! but something we would really recommend just to make sure you’re all as safe as possible and feel as informed as possible.

@Franko thank you so much for starting this topic, it’s such an important discussion to be had and @Erica is right- it does take a lot of courage! so well done and we really encourage you all to keep talking to us :+1:

3 Likes

Good for you. My partner had lymphoma last year and after his treatment finished had a stroke. Last year was a awful year and we were just getting out and about and the beginning of the year then Covid struck. He seems to have gone backwards with his Walking and energy levels. But this Monday we are going to stay in a local hotel for DBB just do do something different. We was always going on holidays staying with friends etc so had been difficult. I look at him and think my lovely Les has changed so much . But it could be worse. I’ve been to Venice a few times and glad you had a smashing time. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Good morning @Lynnecole. Nice to meet you. Sounds like it’s been a really tough year for you both. How is your husbands health now? It’s so nice to hear you are managing to get out and about a little more and staying local offers you that little bit of security. It must be hard to see someone you love change so much. How are you both looking after yourself? Have you got support around you?
Hopefully the break this week will really help you both in relaxing and enjoying feeling a little more normal? Where is ‘local’ for you?

2 Likes

Gosh @Lynnecole, what a awful year you have both had and it must be so tough and sad to see your lovely Les change so much, it must have been so difficult for you.
Going and staying in a local hotel sounds such a lovely idea, yes, you need a break.
How are you coping have you got any support? Don’t forget we are here to support you and you can also contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk. Enjoy you special break and we look forward to hearing all about it soon.

2 Likes

Hi @Lynnecole, how was the hotel?

1 Like