Interferon

Hi i havent been doing to good for a wee while now … hematology are taking me of hydroxycarbamide and going to try me on injection (Interferon Alpha) has anyone else experienced this …i would love some feedback
Thanks Smiddy :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY. I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling too good.
Hopefully people can share their experiences with you and it helps you to feel a little better.
Please keep us posted X

3 Likes

Hi @SMIDDY really sorry to hear that you haven’t been doing too good for a wee while now.
I hope someone will be able to share their experiences of being on Interferon for you.
I will copy your post to the Blood Cancer UK nurse advisors @BloodCancerUK_Nurses for you.
The Blood Cancer UK support line is also there for you on 0808 2080 888.
You might also like to look at the Blood Cancer UK website.
Please look after yourself and be kind to yourself and please let us know how you are doing.

2 Likes

I’ve been taken this for a few years now, weekly injection, doesn’t hurt taking it nor have any side effects. Controlling my levels well.

Happy to answer any questions or concerns :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you Rammie thats good news
hopefully it works well for me also…do you inject yourself or dose nurse do it
Thanks Smiddy :+1:

4 Likes

The nurse will show you first time but it’s a small injection into your abdomen or your thigh (or anywhere that’s got a bit of meat) and it doesn’t need to go through a vein so hitting right spot isn’t an issue. It’s daunting to think of injecting yourself but it really isn’t that bad at all. Can do it as slowly or as quick as you need and it barely draws any blood afterwards or anything. The injections are all pre loaded and you either take full dosage or take half and bin the rest so never an issue of overdosing!

4 Likes

Thats good to know thank you very.much.i go this Tuesday so will find out whats happening then thank you once again its a bit of a worry right now but its good to here someone else’s take on it :+1::+1:

4 Likes

Always welcome… let us know how you get on Tuesday!

One thing to not I did get flu like symptoms the first time but it was a total one off… they also recommend taking it at night.

3 Likes

Little update. i have had my first injection. Was just like you said Rammie .so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: i have to get bone marrow biopsy on the 10th … thanks everyone for your support i hope you are all well :blush:

5 Likes

Oh @SMIDDY you have had your first injection, great, please keep letting us know how you are getting on.
Spoil yourself and look after yourself.

1 Like

Good luck with the bone marrow biopsy @SMIDDY > I hope it isn’t too bad.

2 Likes

Yes I inject it for T Cell Lymphoma and will do so this evening.It comes in various strengths the yellow box being the weakest and red stronger although there may be other ones I haven’t encountered too.It hurts a little bit to inject it but it’s mainly psychological.Inject fast and not slow as slow hurts more!Interferon Alpha and Gamma are the ones used for cancers but they have an Interferon Beta too which seems to be used in autoimmune conditions like MS.I believe that originally they were drugs used to fight Hepatitis but were found to work for other things.

2 Likes

Hi Smiddy, i am quite new to the group too and I’ve been told i will be starting interferon for my Polycythaemia vera (PV) but not had my meeting with consultant since it was first mentioned. Rammie 18 was so kind to talk/ support me and lots of support offered on forum on what to ask. I hope all is going well for you and your biopsy went well today.

It would be great to cintinue to hear how things are going for you.

Take care :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi @Lynd I will copy your post to @Rammie18, he is lovely and his support is so valuable and he really cares about our forum members.
Look after yourself

5 Likes

As do you Erica. It’s so nice to have the support of the forum as we’re navigating the unknow. I recall you reached out to support me, when i first commented. So kind of you and everyone who has messaged. Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Hi lynd great support here if you need a chat just drop a text …i have started my injection only 2 but so far so good had a wee feeling of chills like flu .but dident last long ,Rammie was spot on with his info i have hospital again next tues had my biopsy today … so see how things go … i wish you luck and please let us know how you get on …its good to know your not on your own…Smiddy :+1:

6 Likes

It’s great to hear it’s going well for you. Hope you’re ok after biopsy. I hope it’s good news at your appointment next week too. It is so good to have the support on this forum. Take care :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi Smiddy- I see you have already had lots of positive replies. I might as well add my two penny worth : )
I started injecting peg Interferon alpha 2a a few weeks ago- will be doing my 4th this week. I have not previously been treated with Hydroxycarbamide- in my first proper MPN appointment the consultant discussed the options to treat my Essential Thrombocythaemia (intermediate risk) and we settled on interferon. I have had slight side effects, bit achy, head achy and off colour, bit of brain fuzziness the day after the injection- but these effects were not bad, and seem to be wearing off now.
The injection itself is so much easier to manage than expected, isn’t it?
Although we have yet to see how well the platelets are coming down :crossed_fingers:t4: it seems so far so good for me.
I hope that you also tolerate it well and get good results.
All the best!

3 Likes

Thank you its good to here other peoples experience…i had chills and a bit dizzy…my third one tonight …i will update later when i know how thi gs are going …i wish you well … Smiddy :+1:

2 Likes

Really be kind to yourself @SMIDDY tonight.
Yes, please keep updating us, wishing you well too.

4 Likes