Just been diagnosed with CLL

Hi @Amy and @Steven, really supportive informative advice from the forum peers here, I can only add that we at Blood Cancer UK support service team are hear for you if you would like to talk someone impartial about how you are feeling and what you are going through: Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK.

Take care
Bav

1 Like

How are you doing @Amy?

1 Like

I’m still in a bit of a state of overwhelm at the moment because I am still working - well that is, I am allowed to work from home but I have to try and fit it in and that is a struggle at the moment and I still haven’t visited my local cancer support group and I was given their details 3 weeks ago! I know… I’m being very slack. I’m doing this on my own - as I realize do so many others - but it just makes it that little bit more of a challenge.

1 Like

Hi @Ankr a great big welcome and you say you are doing this on your own, well you aren’t now you have this forum to support you.
I expect you must still be in shock and feeling overwhelmed it is a heavy rucksack of emotions, thoughts, feelings, questions and symptoms to carry on your shoulders.
Don’t forget one of the symptoms of most blood cancers is fatigue and mine is brought on by what personally stresses me and overdoing it emotionally, physically or practically.
A blood cancer diagnosis really rocks your whole world, I felt in a bubble with the world going on around me.
That cancer support group is not going anywhere so just go along when you feel the time is right, no pressure.
The Blood Cancer UK website gives you reliable information, their support line details are above and we are here for you.
When you feel ready I would really like to more more about you and your situation, also are you awaiting any medical appointments?
Perhaps just be kind to yourself and take things stage by stage.

1 Like

Hi Steven, I have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). I was diagnosed in 2009 and went straight on to treatment as I had been coming up with excuses to justify symptoms for almost 2 years! My experience, once you get over the initial shock, is that current treatments appear to be more than a match for any Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) development. I was 50 when diagnosed now 62, other than Covid issues, my life is fairly normal. I do suffer from fatigue and have a few minor side effects from the Venetoclax that I currently take but other than that I have significantly outlasted the original 5year prognosis and plan to continue doing so! Use the charity websites for your information BCuk, CLLSA and Leukaemia Care are all excellent. For bang up to date information I follow them on Twitter. Wishing you all the best.

6 Likes

Oh @Mezzy great that you have joined up and you have really shown the value of our forum by sharing your story.
I was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia in 2003 and I have been lucky enough not to have had any treatment yet. Yes, I saw the 5yr prognosis and I am still here and having fun and like you the fatigue is the main symptom that I have learnt to live with.
Good advice and I really look forward to hearing more about you.

1 Like

Hi my name is Jim,i have been recently diagnosed with Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL).was a shock to get told and since then ive been having bad boughts of stress and anxiety.im on watch and wait at the moment,the stess brings on aches and pains over anywhere in my body is this natural or

1 Like

Hi @HenrikLarsson67 a great big welcome to our forum.
I am a fellow Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)’er. I was diagnosed 19 yrs ago and I have always been on watch and wait (active monitoring) for which I am very grateful for.
My diagnosis came out of the blue and I can still replay that day today.
I would say that stress and anxiety is very normal.
I would still have been in complete shock at your stage, your life and how you perceived it would pan out has been thrown up in the air.
This is not a medical opinion, but my experience is that my stress and anxiety definitely brings my aches and pains.
I also wondered if each ache and pain was leukaemia based.
However if you are concerned about anything please do get it checked out medically.
I also still get anxious before and during all tests, results and appointments.
It is interesting as I had my routine blood tests this morning, so thinking about it my anxiety and stress is definitely so much lower these days.
Personally I would say give yourself time and be kind to yourself and keep posting.
I am here for any questions.

1 Like