Just diagnosed with AML

Oh @clareemmett a great big welcome, I am so glad that you have found us and I cannot imagine what you have all been going through as a family. You, of course, have your strong maternal feelings as well which really come through in your post.
I thank you also for raising the financial impact dilemma on you and your family. Finances are often not talked about.
I copy some links from the Blood Cancer UK and Macmillan Cancer Support websites for you, they are in no particular order.
The Blood Cancer UK support line is there for you on 0808 2080 888.
. Acute myeloid leukaemia - Caring for & supporting a loved one - Blood Cancer UK Online Community Forum
Blood cancer and young adults | Blood Cancer UK
Blood cancer: money and work | Blood Cancer UK
Blood cancer: mind and emotions | Blood Cancer UK
Practical support for carers | Blood Cancer UK
Emotional, financial and physical help for people with cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support
Supporting someone with cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support
I hope others on here will share their experiences.
Have you thought about asking your GP for any help for yourself. I found some CBT talking therapy really helped me, but it was not a quick fix and is not for everyone.
It must have been so scary for you when your daughter had 4 ‘grand mal’ seizures let alone everything that has happened to your daughter.
Please do not get too wrapped up finding a parent of a young person with exactly the same diagnosis, see the tread above.
I think you will find that a parent/carer of a young person with any blood cancer will probably share very similar fears, feelings, thoughts, emotions and practicalities to you.
I know I have focused on supporting you and not on your daughter, but from what you have said it sounds as if she is getting the medical/rehabilitation treatment and has come a long way, give her time.
I realise you have a lot on your plate but perhaps try and spend a bit of attention on your son, spoil yourselves.
Please do keep posting and I know I have not answered your question, but perhaps you might all need support…

3 Likes