Recently diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) - July 2021

Hello everyone I found this forum from a booklet on my condition, given to me by my Consultant. I thought it may help me during my treatment and maybe even learn from someone who has gone through what I am about to face.

You could have knocked me over with a feather, when after a routine blood test I had a late night call from an on-call doctor advising me that there was something wrong with my blood and that I would need to go into hospital for a blood transfusion.

Everything happened so quickly after that. Apart from breaking a bone when I was 15 years old, I’d never been admitted to hospital, so this was a massive shock. Little did I know that in a couple of days time I would be diagnosed with Leukaemia.

I was very scared when first diagnosed as I had known people from my younger days who had been diagnosed with Leukaemia, but things have changed so much in the last 40 years, and the outlook now is very different to what it was then.

I am fortunate that I have a good family around me and some very good friends who are all rooting for me to get better. I cannot stress how important it is to have people around you who really care, it just means so much!

I have now started my treatment and I have an amazing healthcare team behind me, and being a positive person I believe that I will beat this illness eventually and live a very normal life.

So you may ask why are you writing on this forum as you seem to have everything you need.

Well possibly, but I also thought that there may be some people out there going through Leukaemia who may not have a support network as I have, and just thought that I could help that person and may be part of their support network to help them through.

Thank you for reading my first post.

Kind regards
Yorkshire1962

4 Likes

Hi @Yorkshire1962. I’m really glad you joined the forum. I think people will get so much from your post and from you sharing your experiences. It’s invaluable.
Your diagnosis must have been a complete shock. You’re right - things have come so far in terms of research and treatment and are improving year on year. Sometimes we forget that when we hear those dreaded words!
You are so lucky to have a good support system around you, both personally and medically. I am lucky enough to have amazing friends and family around me to, and a good medical team. I don’t know what I’d do without them all.
I think being on the forum will offer you so much as well. I find it a great place just to share, listen and support, whether you’re having a good day, or maybe not so good. There is always someone to listen, and at times, even though you have so much support around you, it helps sharing/offloading to somebody who is in a similar position to you. So, with that in mind, a great big welcome from me! X

1 Like

Hi @Yorkshire1962 great that you have found us so quickly.
I love the way you say ‘you could have knocked me over with a feather’ I bet that is an understatement.
My first half century was also extremely healthy and I was diagnosed by a gynaecologist again with a routine blood test. I came straight home and wrote my will and funeral music, that was 17yrs ago.
I felt as if I was in a bubble with the world going on as normal around me.
As you say good, supportive family and friends and medical team are absolutely priceless.
We are here to share our experiences and to support each other. I have found that I can say how it really is for me on our forum, which perhaps loved ones cannot understand sometimes.
There is also the Blood Cancer UK support line, details above if you would like to talk to someone.
You are so right when you say research has come on leaps and bounds over our lifetimes and new targeted, less gruelling treatments are coming on board all the time.
I like your attitude and I really look forward to hearing more from you so please keep posting.

1 Like