Friend diagnosed with AML a few days ago

Hello everyone,
My friend has been diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) 5 days ago, It was a big shock for me when she told me over the phone, I froze, I could’t believe it. She had some serious symptoms a week ago, like fever, tiredness, gum bleed. So her GP has referred her to the go and see an Haematologist in the hospital for further checks.
The same day, doctors told her they suspect Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML). More checks the day after and they have confirmed she has Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML).
They also have done bone marrow biopsy and she is waiting for the results.
In the meantime she started chemotherapy with pills since yesterday and blood transfusion today. Yesterday she still had some fever.
I’m very worried, I don’t know how serious this is and in what stage it is.
I’m trying to be positive as much as possible especially when I speak with her.
Doctors will not speak with me as I’m not a relative and I cannot go and visit her as visits are not permitted.

What I can do, how I can support better my friend? What is the life expectancy for Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML), is it as they say one of the most aggressive types of Leucemia?

Thanks for the support.

1 Like

Hello @LovingFriend and welcome to this forum. You certainly sound a very special friend and I am really sorry to hear your story about your friend. You must be very scared and shocked and of course the uncertainty of it all makes it worse. I have a different blood cancer and I can’t answer your questions, I am afraid, but my advice would be to not believe everything Google might tell you but stick to reputable sites such as this one. The Support Services team at Blood Cancer UK can be contacted on 0808 208 0888. I am sure your friend knows you care and keeping in touch to let her know you are thinking of her will mean so much at this time. Thinking of you both very much. Please keep us updated when you feel able. Warm wishes. Willow XX

1 Like

Hi @LovingFriend a great big welcome and your name on here describes you so well.
@Willow has given you a brilliant reply
You and your friend must be in complete shock.
You are obviously in contact with your friend as you have up to date information.
This is all happening so quickly, but it sounds as if your friend is having tests and treatment which is good.
All you can do is to listen to her and be there for her. Ask her what she needs, jobs that might need doing, how is she really feeling and thinking, what would she like from you etc…
Perhaps you do not have to be the positive one, just being there is a gift for her.
Sometimes just sending her a little card paper or an ecard to say you are thinking of her can be really appreciated.
It must be so difficult not being classed as a relative, but your friend will be able to tell you what is going on.
We are all so individuals, as are life expectancies, when I was diagnosed 17 yrs ago I went onto Google (not the best idea !!!) and found I had a 5-10 yr life expectancy and I am still here and enjoying my life.
You are now not alone because you have us as support.
I am going to say, what perhaps your friend would say, to look after yourself, you must be in shock, oh, and keep posting.

Thank you @Erica and @Willow , your messages are so helpful and full of hope, thanks again :slight_smile: I’m planning to send her a parcel with some books, notebooks and other things I know she likes. They told her she is going to stay in that room fo the next 5 months or so, so she can start personalise it,that was a shock for me and burst to tears…after our call. I thought, OMG is she going to be out from there? As you’ve said google is not good so I’ll stick with the info I find here and what my friend tells me :slight_smile: I will update you

1 Like

As your friends @LovingFriend I am sure the parcel you are planning to send, or deliver to the hospital, will be jam packed and customised to what your friend wants and you know your friend will enjoy and keep them occupied. Do they have any hobbies or things they always wanted to do, but never had the time.
I got a jig saw out 18 mths ago when we went into lockdown and it is still in the box !!!
If your friend can play them what about DVD’d and box sets.
What about edible treats?
Oh, it’s going to be a big parcel, we await hearing about the contents.
Your friend is being looked after, so please look after yourself.

1 Like

Hi @LovingFriend, As both @willow & @Erica have suggested your profile name seems very appropriate.
I am so sorry to hear the news about your friend. Your acts of kindness and considerate gifts will most definitely put a smile on her face. It’s very difficult when a friend is diagnosed and it is a lot to digest. It is also hard to understand where to begin in navigating through the facts and uncertainties. If you have not done so already, it may be helpful to access some of our healthcare pages on AML- Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) - what is it, symptoms and treatment | Blood Cancer UK

It’s understandable how this is effecting you. We at the support service team are here for you if you would like to talk about how you are feeling and what you are going through.

Please don’t hessite to contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (Mondays: 10am-7pm, Tuesdays-Fridays: 10am-4pm, Saturday, Sundays and Bank Holidays: 10am-1pm) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
Best Wishes, Lauran

1 Like