Lack of understandings

Ill admit I’m stating the obvious again sorry but I’m just dismayed at the attitude of the Government towards Covid, which is creeping into the some aspects of NHS & general public eg some Dctrs discouraging people from wearing masks and not wearing masks themselves, general public not coughing into hankerchiefs going to work with coughs and colds, spreading germs on public transport
The attitude being "We can live with covid due to anti virals and vaccines " , Have people not heard of long covid & that vulnerable people are more at risk from it & that vaccines don’t work for a lot of us. As for anti virals the scenario is not like going out, coming home with a common cold and taking paracetamol.
The Government think “it’s ok”, for them to have this attitude, because they have provided for the masses or as they may say the majority, but if this means effectively ignoring people

Perhaps their are worse things than Covid, but for a VULNERABLE person it’s worse

4 Likes

Completely agree with you.

If you needed a reason to write to your MP, then following a meeting of the Enhanced Protection Panel with various stakeholders we were informed of the following?

1. Antivirals will become the responsibility of primary care, ie GPs from the end of June, when CMDUs will cease to exist.

2. Antivirals will cease to be covered by the prescription waiver so you will have to pay prescription charges on them.

3. Anti-virals task force is being disbanded this week.

4. confirmation by JCVI that household members will not be eligible for boosters as they don’t think waning effectiveness is an issue for them.

5. The EPP panel is closing down so along with other charity stakeholders we will have no more meeting where we can raise issues directly, although we do have individual channels

It’s just another demonstration tied in with the suspending of the ONS data of them trying to forget this is happening.

Everyone needs to join the #forgotten500k campaign before this gets sweep even further under the carpet.

1 Like

I would like to see more publicity in the general publics faces all the time, not just by medical journalists in papers.

Walk past 100 people in the St, it would be "interesting ", to see what percentage have heard of #forgotten500k For example my neighbour had not heard of Evusheld

Imagine watching the Cup Final with #forgotten500k in the corner of the screen and a brief advert in the presentation. It can simply be a presentation about awareness of the fact that some people don’t have a 100% immune system and why. The advert could demonstrate the importance of using hankerchiefss and sanitizer in public.
Costs and funding could be an issue, but why not ask a media company as a good will gesture.
In most circumstances a company would say we have our own charity or we can’t show bias to a charity
In this case it would benifit charities or the victims charities support and in view of Covid this would help EVERYONE
The overall message could be "coughs and sneezes spread diseases "

1 Like

They did a big advert campaign last October in national newspapers to help and also a vigil outside the Houses of Parliament which some MPs addended. So they are constantly trying to fight our corner. If I post anything on the myeloma forums regarding Evusheld or anything else regarding our treatment by the government I get very little response. I have just written to my MP again. I just feel we have to keep on highlighting our situation.

2 Likes

Of course I think what has been done so far is very good, just that we need more eg regular television coverage, that would broaden our audience. Why not have #forgotten500k in thecorner of the screen on every news bulletin except for overseas reporting eg
victims of war in the Ukraine
Nothing wrong with suggesting a good will gesture to a TV company, of course nobody is safe till everyone is safe.
It Just sickens me that some people know more about what a celebrity wore at Tv awards then #forgotten500k things need to change !
The corner of every page in newspapers should have #forgotten500k above the page number . "Good Morning Television " should have it next to the clock. People are having to choose between life and income, everyday!

2 Likes

In yesterdays Independent.

3 Likes

Hi ted, my wife has, at great expense had the evosheld and unfortunately contracted covid a few months later- she’s recovered quite well.
She believes the evosheld should be available to all with immune compromised patients.
She has W.M.
We are due back at the consultant later this month for bloods…. After a watch and wait period of 8 months.
I have noticed her getting very tired in the last couple of weeks and am really worried that it’s an indication that her levels are rising and she will be back on a chemotherapy program - which will mean strict shielding - which we’ve been doing for over 3 years now and it’s really taking its toll.
A shout out to all the caregivers out there!!
Steve.

3 Likes

Agree so totally. I feel sometimes that I am banging my head against a brick wall. The number of people who don’t understand what vulnerability means. I have today booked my 7th covid jab, my sister in law said why keep having them if they don’t work. Well I keep having them i the hope that they may start working!! Until then, I will keep wearing my mask, keep avoiding crowds but try to live more normally.

3 Likes

Hi @Bobbins I will give the biggest shout out to caregivers, family and friends that really understand and look after us, yes, 3 yrs + is a very long time as well to be
shielding and I bet it is taking it’s toll. You are all stars.
Please keep posting and don’t forget the Blood Cancer UK support line is there for you.
Look after and be kind to yourselves.

1 Like

Do keep having the vaccines - I’m 3+y post donor stem cell transplant and finally had an antibody response after my 6th vaccination, and a much bigger response after the 7th. It surprised my consultant almost as much as me so I’m hoping the spring booster is good too.

4 Likes

Hi, I have had a couple of outpatient visits to the L&D and the hospital is almost totally mask-free. The free mask dispensers have gone. Its a bit of a shock, but it does make the place look more normal. I feel sorry for the very vulnerable waiting in crowded waiting rooms.

Helen

2 Likes