Links between Hodgkins Lymphoma and ET?

I have Essential Thrombocythemia (ET) and my younger brother had Hodgkins Lymphoma over 30 years ago when he was early 20s. I’m 66 and diagnosed 2 years ago. My haematologist said there’s no link but I find it strange that both are blood cancers. Has this happened in any of your families?

1 Like

Hi Michelle, nice to have you back on the forum. It’s a strange one isn’t it. I asked my consultant if there were any links between blood cancers. I was diagnosed with non Hodgkins, four years ago and my dad with leukaemia which he subsequently passed away from a couple of years ago. I was told the same, no links. I’d be interested to hear others stories too. How are you doing?

1 Like

Hi @Michelle, there is no history of blood cancer, that I know of, in my family.
I hope that helps.
If you would like to talk the the Blood Cancer UK support line the details are above.
How are you in Lockdown 3?

1 Like

Hi. Lockdown 3 is ok. We usually get out as much as we can as we are retired. Lots of weekend breaks, holidays, theatres etc but obviously hardly been out for almost 10 months now. Husband has multiple chronic conditions so we are trying to stay as safe as possible. Our dustbin goes out more than we do!!:joy:. Looking forward to the jab once we are called to have it. How are you both getting on?

2 Likes

Hi @Michelle, yes, our dustbins do go out more than we do !!
The main thing is that we take care of ourselves and stay safe.
I am OK, emotions all over the place, but feel very safe and secure in our flat.
Please keep posting and let us know if you do find there is a link.

1 Like

Hello everyone. This is an interesting topic. I was diagnosed with an MPN that had features of ET and myelofibrosis when I was in my thirties which is unusual. My mother was diagnosed with ET in her seventies. Very sadly her mother died as a result of a blood clot and bleeding shortly after childbirth many years ago. There is a strong possibility that she had something like ET also but nothing was known about it all those years ago. I have spoken to my haematologist about this and although they say MPN’s aren’t hereditary, there could be a family tendency towards these conditions in some cases. My condition has now transformed to myelofibrosis and I am CALR positive. My mother is now 89 years of age and has other health issues. Her ET, thankfully, doesn’t cause her too many problems. She takes Hydroxycarbamide daily. Warm wishes. Willow

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

We hope you’re all doing okay and keeping safe during this time, this is a really interesting topic and completely understandable to be asking such questions. We can also really appreciate talking about this and the impact of blood cancer within the family can be understandably really difficult, so we do hope you’re all feeling okay.

Some of you may find our “what is blood cancer” webpage helpful: https://bloodcancer.org.uk/understanding-blood-cancer/what-is-blood-cancer/ under the section “What causes blood cancer?” where we talk through what kind of factors can affect the likelihood of developing blood cancer, with further links to the different types of blood cancer.

We hope this is helpful everyone, but of course as you know, the forum and our Support Services Team: https://bloodcancer.org.uk/support-for-you/talk-blood-cancer/ are always here for further help- so please do keep reaching out!

Su

1 Like

Hello
My mum was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma in 2011 and passed away 2016.
I was diagnosed ET (triple negative) by BMB in 2014. Does make you wonder :thinking:

1 Like

Hi @Donna2 a great big welcome to our forum. I help you find it supportive, I do.
I am so sorry to hear you lost your mum to non-hodgkins lymphoma in 2016. I cannot imagine what you went through as at that point you had been diagnosed with ET.
Yes, it does make you wonder about the familial link.
We are here to support each other whatever you are going through.
How are you coping with lockdown 3 and how are you in yourself?

1 Like

Hi. It is so.ething i have wondered. My dad passed away in 2007 eith acute lympablastic leukaemia and i was diagnosed in 2020 with non hodgkins lymphoma. I asked consultants and 1 said no link and another said possible link. Just makes me worry for my children

1 Like

Hi @Mandi713, a great big welcome to our forum, the jury certainly seems out doesn’t it and very naturally you worry for your children. I suppose all I can do is to make my son aware of the symptoms to look out for.
I presume you were diagnosed in Covid times which must have made it very difficult and scary for you.
We are all here to support you and if you would like to talk you can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk
I look forward to hearing more about you soon.

Hi @Mandi713 and welcome to the forum. I understand that worry - the same kind of pattern with me. I suppose all we can do is go with what information we have - heres hoping its just coincidental and we have nothing to worry about. How are you doing?

1 Like