Lockdown 3 2021

Thanks @SP7 for giving your perspectives of going to your hospital and as of a teacher, it is so useful.
How are you doing and feeling?
What are other peoples perspectives ?

I am struggling with teaching from home. Last year and this year I have only been in school for about 11 weeks. I was off sick having chemo, returned to work in May online. Went back to the classroom for September and October, home again for November, school in December and now home until at least half term.
Really missing face to face contact with students and colleagues.
However I know it is for the best.

1 Like

Gosh @betty1957 so understandable that you were so disappointed with this, I imagine that must have been very worrying for you - did they offer any explanation as to why?!
It’s good to hear that everything is ok at the moment.

1 Like

I just don’t know how you are adapting to all the new educational guidelines, hat’s off to you and all the other teachers.
I bet you became a teacher because of wanting that interaction with your class in the classroom.
How exactly are you struggling with teaching from home?

I teach special needs students, they need the support from teachers/TAs. We are doing our best with zoom, sharing powerpoints, worksheets etc, but it is hard for some of them.
Personally I think my mental health is suffering, not having the contact with colleagues, leaving the house etc. But I know it’s for the best, and won’t be forever.

1 Like

Hi @SP7, Yes, I think each lockdown is tougher than the last, it has been a long while since we have had social contact and hugs.
I think that is why we need to support each other more and more now. I think it is a comfort to me to know I am not the only one, thanks for being so honest.
Don’t forget you can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk if you would like to talk.
Take care, stay safe and we will get through this together.
Is anyone else finding this lockdown more difficult?

1 Like

I’m finding this lockdown tougher than the others as the weather is so lousy and with no definite time on when restrictions might ease it feels endless.

1 Like

Dear SP7
I too was a special needs teacher before my retirement. Even retiring was hard because I knew I would not see the continuing story for some of my children. I can imagine how you must feel, as if you are losing touch with some of them. It is those little continuing chats that help you build up a picture of how the children are coping. Teaching online must be more formal than you would wish. The same is true for chats with colleagues. No wonder you find it tough. Try the odd phone call to a colleague just to chat. Teachers love to chat…about teaching and children…then about funny things which happened. A good giggle will get you back in touch . (I hope so anyway.)
My husband ( a retired headteacher) and I keep saying how challenging times are for schools. Our hearts go out to you.

2 Likes

Thankyou. I am lucky that I have a good group of colleagues, some of whom are close friends, so I do manage to keep in touch a little.
Although after a full day in front of the screen, by 4pm I am fit for nothing :joy:
I know it’s not forever, so will just keep plodding on.

2 Likes

Its a very hard job to do online isn’t it. I too have some close colleagues but am still feeling feally out of the loop with work. I’m finding this time round much more difficult. HI used that phrase last week to; @keep plodding on’. Whilst your plodding on, make sure you take care of yourself too x

1 Like

Yes I can certainly identify with what you are all saying. Having said that a lot of my colleagues seem to thrive on working from home and prefer it. When we cam back to work after Christmas, we were given the choice of whether we wanted to work from home or back on campus part time. It was very noticeable that the bigger proportion chose working from home and not just for safety reasons. For me it was a no brainer, I just need to get out some of the time. We have to have twice weekly Covid tests now so that things are as safe as possible.

1 Like

So important to take breaks and get out and about. Nice to see people as well!

1 Like

Yay snow! Did you get your snow?

1 Like

No, we didn’t! Unhappy children :pensive:

1 Like

I spoke to soon - the snow definitely came!

1 Like