Mum just been diagnosed with ET

Not sure where to start, my previously very fit and active 78 year old Mum has been diagnosed with Essential thrombocythemia (ET). She said she isnt overly worried as her consultant wasnt, she is due to start Hydoxycarbamide next week and i am going to go with her armed with questions, i am overloading on Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN) voice and this website but i am worried. It’s just very scary when they say it is cancer and a chemo drug but mainly manageable (not curable).

2 Likes

Hi @Mazzacbmac and welcome to the forum.
I’m really glad you have written all off your questions down. It’s one thing we all advise on doing otherwise we come home forgetting to ask what we wanted to.
Yes - hearing its cancer is very scary. Your mum seems to have confidence in her consultant which is so important. I’m glad you are going with your mum and I hope the consultant helps to ease your anxiety a little.
Please remember the support line is there for you to if you think it would help to talk things through X

1 Like

Here is the link to the support line details.

1 Like

Hi @Mazzacbmac a great big welcome to our forum.
It really is hard to get your head round isn’t it.
I think it is very natural to be worried and scared, the unknown is.
It is good that you are going with your mum next week to hear first hand what is going on and to ask all the questions you and your mum need to ask.
I always need to write everything down I want to ask first and perhaps be pleasantly assertive and ensure you get the answers you want.
You might both be still in shock so look after and be very kind to yourselves
Please do let us know how you get on and @Nichola75 has given yo the Blood Cancer UK support line details if you need them.

1 Like