My mom’s myeloma

Hi everyone.

My mom just got diagnosed with multiple myeloma after being hospitalized for kidney failure, infection and liver issues (turned yellow) all at once… :frowning:

We’re… we were hoping its not true, but the news is starting to sink in…

I’m living in UK since 2010s but she got diagnosed in Bosnia where she lives and I would like to get a UK doctor review her tests and results, not so much hoping for a different news as much as perhaps get a more up to date treatment advice…

Does anyone know how that can be done in UK? I’m happy to get the documents translated and cover the costs, if I could get a recommendation from anyone who perhaps did the same before that would help a lot.

And yeah… We’re preparing for our lives to change and its all so surreal and terrifying. Our first time facing something like this so just wanted to send a lot of love and support to anyone going trough similar, and to say thanks for this forum.

Many thanks and all the best,
Bojan

2 Likes

Hi @Duck I am so glad that you have found us, although I wish you had not had to.
I am so sorry to hear about your mum’s health issues and diagnosis, it must be so worrying for you being so far away from you.
I do not know the answer to your question, but I will copy your post to the Blood Cancer UK nurse advisors in case they have any ideas. @BloodCancerUK_Nurses.
Others may be able to help further.
I believe you are right that medicines, treatments and treatment plans do vary from country to country.
I am also concerned about you as you are probably in shock, fearful, feeling powerless and scared of the unknown.
The main thing is that you look after yourself.
We are here for you and if you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is there for you on 0808 2080 888
Please keep posting.

2 Likes

Hello @Duck
Welcome to the forum.
We are sorry to hear that your Mum has been diagnosed with Myeloma and has been so unwell. Hopefully she can now begin treatment and start to feel better soon.
When a relative receives a blood cancer diagnosis it is often unexpected and comes as a huge shock. It can cause huge anxiety and fear, especially if there are many unanswered questions. With you being in the UK and not able to sit in on the consultations your Mum is having with the Doctors in Bosnia, this may also cause worry, as I am sure you have lots of questions you would want to ask. Are you able to speak with your Mum’s team? Is there a way to be involved, for example having a Zoom call or being on speaker-phone at her appointment? This may give you some reassurance around the care/treatment being offered to her.
With regards to a Haematologist reviewing your Mum’s bloods in UK, unfortunately I think it is unlikely an NHS Consultant would do this. Is this something you would be willing to pay for privately, I am not sure if this available, but it may be an option you could look in to.

I am not sure if it is helpful to you, but NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) have guidelines for the diagnosis and management of Myeloma: NICE-Myeloma This may give you some information on recommended treatments in the UK that you could compare. However, there are many types of treatment for Myeloma, but what is offered may depend on certain factors; for example initial blood results, other medical problems, kidney function, performance status (ability to self care/perform tasks) etc. The Consultants will take this all into account with your Mum, I am sure they will offer the best options for her individual wellbeing.

If you would like to talk through any of this, please do call our support line.
Remember to take good care of yourself throughout the next few weeks.
Best wishes, Heidi.

4 Likes