New here? Feel free to introduce yourself here šŸ‘‹

Hi Edward, welcome to the group. I used All Clear travel insurance but didnā€™t compare with anything else.

1 Like

I think the above link will take you to the information that may be of help to you Edward. Welcome to the forum. I hope you will find suitable insurance and your visit to Argentina is useful to all. Best wishes

1 Like

Thank for the welcome

1 Like

Hi Erica
I am a Falklands veteran and I am going to down to offer support to Argentine soldiers who have been denied a military pension due to red tape. I feel I should offer support to these men

2 Likes

Thanks, a very worthy cause.

Hi hope you can advise me on the horrendous itching I get with essential thrombocemia I take hydroxycarbomide 500mg twice daily, it drives me mad, take fexofenadine 180mg x2 or x4if itching, cetirizine 10mg twice daily or upto 4 times if itching bad, chlorphenamine 4mg upto 6 times daily when itching bad, promethazine 25mg at night, also got dermacool 5%, balneum cream. Also been given diazapam 2mg to calm me down as itching can last upto 6 hrs.
How do others deal with this, at times I feel like taking a knife to try to cut it out. My husband and family are also feeling it as the canā€™t do anything to help.
Carol

1 Like

Hi, a great big welcome to our community forum. Unfortunately I cannot help you with your horrendous itching it sounds as if your medical team know what you are going through, but sometimes I find going back and saying that nothing they are prescribing is helping and what else can they advise might help. Is this hot weather making any difference? We are all here to support you on this site and the Bloodwise support line is free from UK landlines and mobile phones on 0808 2080 888 and they are available to take your call Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm and on Wednesdays from 10am-1pm, but you can get in touch whenever you want and leave a message and they say they will get back to you within one working day. I am sure others have posted about horrendous itching and others might respond to you, I will come back to you if I can find anything, take lots of care of yourself.

2 Likes

Hi, I just searched using the magnifying glass in the top right hand corner of the page using ā€˜itchy skinā€™ and there is a post stream on the subject you can click on. I hope that helps, please do let us know how you get on.

3 Likes

Thanks will give it a look, x

Hot weather doesnā€™t affect me, neither does cold, have been through every thing that might bring on, x

1 Like

Iā€™m Anthony. So to introduce myself I have to reply to your forum post? I canā€™t see any other way to post here? I have multiple myeloma and have had two stem cell transplants (2007 & 2013). Whilst procedures and recovery were difficult, I did manage to get back to my previous sporty lifestyle (albeit with reduced capabilities). Last January my myeloma spiked again and I have been on a combination of lenalidomide (Revlimid), dexamethasone and ixazomib (Ninlaro) and my ā€œbadā€ blood counts have come down and the back/shoulder/arm pain has completely gone, but the whole process has left me very weak. Iā€™m training hard again and some strength and mobility is coming back. I think I will be on a maintenance program of lenalidomide and izazomib until they stop working so I am not completely sure of longer term outcomes. I am treated at the Royal Marsden in Sutton.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks so much for introducing yourself and welcome to our community forum. It sounds as if you are a positive and determined person. It must be really hard work building up your strength and mobility. I find it so hard to know how not to see saw by feeling a bit better and then overdoing it and I never learn. No, none of us know what the future holds, but I think I want to be as fit as I can just in case. It also gives me a sense of achievement and makes me feel better about myself. By the way I am a 69yr old female who never exercised for the first 60 yrs of her life. Take it steady.

1 Like

Hi Anthony, a big welcome to our forum. To reply to a topic, you can either click ā€˜replyā€™ on someones post as you have done, or if you scroll down a little to the end, there is a red ā€˜replyā€™ button which allows you to reply to the thread. Either way, youā€™re posting which is great!

Please do take a look around the forum, if you see a conversation you want to join in, then feel free to do so. Or you can start your own conversation!

2 Likes

Oh sorry pressed the wrong thing not to flag

2 Likes

You are only three years ahead of me. I have always exercised and played lots of sports so I have found it particularly difficult to adjust to being less active and competitive. But I am a firm believer that exercise (to whatever level you can achieve) is good for both physical and mental health.

1 Like

Hi I was diagnosed with Hodgkinā€™s lymphoma in June. Had 4 chemotherapy treatments. Having a PET scan next week. A very nervous wait to see if itā€™s working.

2 Likes

Oh, what a lovely photo of you. A great big welcome to our community forum, I hope you find the posts as interesting, informative and supportive as I do. I find it doesnā€™t seem to matter what our diagnosis is we all seem to have the same fears, anxieties, thoughts and feelings, like that nervous wait for results.The Bloodwise support line is free from UK landlines and mobile phones if you need it on 0808 2080 888 and they are available to take your call Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm and on Wednesdays from 10am-1pm, but you can get in touch whenever you want and leave a message and they say they will get back to you within one working day. Please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hi there. I was diagnosed with HL in 2007 and remember having PET scans and the wait for results well. I had an unusual presentation of HL and lots of bumps in the road, but eventually achieved remission and live to tell the tale. I hope all goes well for you.

2 Likes

Hi Michelle, welcome to our forum! I hope you find it friendly and welcoming! Please do know our support services are here if you ever want to talk or have questions. I hope some of the threads in the ā€˜going through treatmentā€™ section https://forum.bloodcancer.org.uk/c/going-through-treatment are helpful or interesting, please do feel free to start a new one if there isnā€™t a conversation ongoing youā€™d like to have.

I hope your PET scan goes well, how are you feeling?

2 Likes

Hi All

This is my first post and I guess I donā€™t know where to start. Iā€™ve just joined the forum and have been inspired by what I have read in the posts and really admire the openness, and resilience other members have shown. I thought that I should become more than just an observer. Anyway I was diagnosed with MDS trisomy 8, refractory neutropenia in 2018. Although Iā€™m in a low risk category Iā€™ve had to be hospitalised a few times as result of infections, including an unpleasant brush with sepsis. Iā€™m on supportive treatment including GCSF injections which has made a big difference to me, although I get periodic nausea and fatigue is an issue too. I have a fantastic team looking after me. My consultant is excellent, who is a great communicator as well as being a top drawer clinician. The other support provided by the nursing staff, especially our Macmillan nurse and all the GPS in my practice has also been brilliant. My employer has also been great even giving me access to counselling when I needed it last year and I have a a great family, friend and work colleagues who have all been brilliant as well. In so many ways I feel lucky. One thing I also feel is guilty, as I know Iā€™m having a much easier time than so many people I meet when Iā€™m down at the clinic for my three month reviews. The fatigue I struggle with a lot of the time is difficult but Iā€™m managing to keep working at the moment. While I have strategies for dealing with it, the unpredictability and rapid onset with which it occurs I find challenging to deal with. Emotionally Iā€™m usually very positive, although I do find at times this can been a bit of a roller coaster and out of the blue I can feel overwhelmed. Iā€™m also very open with people about my condition as at times I have to cancel things or leave meetings etc so it helps that people have a background context. I also feel strongly that itā€™s important to try and destigmatise (if there is such a word) being diagnosed with this disease. I know this isnā€™t the case for everyone but I find it helps for me. Anyway sorry for the rambling and slightly disjointed first post.

All the best, Peter

6 Likes