Not being aware of/or being turned away from, cancer specific support or certain exemptions/benefits, due to a lack of understanding of your condition

If anyone has any experience with either (or both) of the points below, we’d be so grateful if you could share them with us if you felt happy to.

• We often hear from our community that they didn’t realise they might be eligible for certain benefits such as free prescriptions/parking, employment protections, disability benefits, counselling and many others. Both slow growing/indolent blood cancers, as well as fast growing/aggressive blood cancer qualify for certain benefits, yet so many patients (and employers) don’t realise this. We’re keen to hear more from our community regarding their experience in this area…

• We sometimes hear from our community that they have been turned away from cancer-specific support because others don’t realise their condition is a type of blood cancer. We’re keen to hear more from our community regarding their experience in this area…

3 Likes

Hi @Alice_BloodCancerUK firstly although I worked for a local government I was the first person to ever have a leukaemia there and nobody ever told me about any benefits I might be eligible for.
Therefore I did not try to access any cancer specific support and since I have realised I have a blood cancer in about 2010 I have stuck with Blood Cancer UK for information and support

2 Likes

Hello @Alice_BloodCancerUK

When I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, I was fairly immediately admitted to hospital and spent 4 out of the next 5 months there, so couldn’t really apply for PIP until I was back home after a Stem cell transplant. I had a cancer benefits advisor the hospital put me in touch with, but he did nothing for three months, then left his job without providing any advice at all.

When I got home from hospital, I was too ill to read a single sentence of the mammoth PIP pack (despite having maximised benefits for other people in the job I lost a few weeks before my diagnosis) and my husband didn’t know where to begin with it - so we literally did not get a penny of benefits in the 2 years I was off sick (except national insurance credits.)

We weren’t entitled to other benefits because we had some savings. My husband had to take 8 months unpaid leave from his job at sea, to look after son/pets/house until I was able. I didn’t have critical illness cover or sick pay from a job - I’d just lost my job. Having blood cancer therefore cost us many tens of thousands of pounds. And no one told me for many months that I was at least entitled to free hospital parking or help towards the costs of the regular 5 hour round trip to my transplant hospital! It was disastrous for us financially.

Usually I’m good at investigating what people are entitled to - it was part of my job - but when you are desperately ill, your brain just doesn’t function and other people need to step in and help, because you haven’t the energy or mental capacity to deal with complex claims. I literally couldn’t think. We were particularly unlucky because it was the height of the pandemic, and so no friends or family were around to help us, and support services were much reduced or non-existent.

I also asked for counselling, but was told by both hospitals that treated me that there was no funding for it.

I feel very lucky to be alive, and I can’t fault the marvellous medical treatment I received, but I have to admit, the advice and benefits side of things were terrible, and we were really let down. But I would take a big financial hit again and again, just so long as I survived. That’s one positive about nearly dying - you can shrug off more of your non-life-threatening problems.

Anyway, am back in work now and all that’s behind us. C’est la vie. Hope the info helps.

3 Likes

Hi @Fullofbeans so sorry for my late response to you, just wanted to say a huge thank you for sharing this with us.

2 Likes

Oh no worries, @Alice_BloodCancerUK. :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve literally just had my prescription request declined. I don’t expect to get aspirin free but having to take Lanzaparole with it and blood pressure tablets I was hoping for some relief, especially as I’m currently unemployed.

1 Like

Have you asked for a FP92A form from your GP

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I filled out. Thank you :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Will this help you at all

1 Like

@2DB this is so kind and helpful if you. I’ll look into it. Thank you x

2 Likes

Hope you don’t mind me asking who declined the form and the reason why

1 Like

I dropped my form at the surgery last week and got a text message from the surgery, which said your application has been declined. Rotters! I’ve been registered at that surgery for 7 years and have never seen a doctor and only the nurse for smear tests and vaccinations.

Anyway, I’m not eligible for other reasons as my husband does earn a decent wage. I’ll be 60 in July, so I’ll get my prescription free then. In the grand scheme of things I am very fortunate but I feel embarrassed to have been refused as it makes me feel like I’m pulling a fast one.

2 Likes

I meant to add that there was no reason given.

2 Likes

Do you have a consultant who could sign it for you
I’m taking it for granted you have a cancer diagnosis and receiving or received treatment

1 Like

I have Polycythaemia vera (PV). I’ll ask next time I’m at the hospital. Thanks for your support x

2 Likes

Oh @PollyVera, yes, Rotters, it must have brought up really horrible thoughts and emotions. isn’t everything such a battle
@2DB has given you great advice.
Thinking of you, please let us know how you get on and look after yourself