Organ donation

Always been the one to tell people to tick that box and donate their organs, give blood etc and it sort of came home this evening about having Polycythaemia vera (PV), I have to say I do not consent to donate because blood cancer is not healthy for others, not even Bury Black Pudding.
At least they don’t ask you why online.
Anyone else opted out recently and how did it make you feel?
I now carry one of the Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN) Voice cards stating what cancer I have. Having survived a car crash this year, I have it with my digital awareness contact card I keep in my wallet.

2 Likes

Morning @clickinhistory

I have always wanted to support organ donation. Rules on organ donation say - If you have active cancer you cannot donate organs but you still usually donate tissue. If the cancer has not come back after several years it may then be possible to donate organs.
So for me it is unlikely to happen.
As we opt out in the UK to donations it is a decision individuals need to make. But all organs and tissue are carefully screened before being transplanted to any donor. So for me I will leave it in the hands of the professionals to decide what they do with me I’m no use to me is the way I look at it and they will never do any harm to others .

3 Likes

Good point @clickinhistory I have been an organ donor for many , many years and have an old paper card in my phone wallet and have written on there my Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and other relevant conditions and like @Jules says it is then up to the experts to firstly make a decision and then they can screen as appropriate.
This is a very non medical reply, but good question.

3 Likes

@Erica @Jules given the Polycythaemia vera (PV) slipped past many blood tests and by default, affects all of the body, I would rather opt out, than feel part of my cancer gets passed on, especially given the continuing issues of the contaminated blood scandal.
Though it was watching them taking the blood away to be destroyed rather than studied, especially when it is a rare cancer, that felt wasteful. Too many years living in Yorkshire rubbed off on me I guess :wink:

2 Likes

I was a blood donor and wanted to donate my organs as I have myeloma I can no longer do either
Here’s the latest gov guidelines

3 Likes

@2DB love the language around Polycythaemia vera (PV) and other Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN) cancers, sort of er not really sure, but covering our backsides anyway.
I would rather feel safe than worry about leaving a poisoned chalice given such confusion in the past :wink: https://youtu.be/WzmnSyqv37A?feature=shared

2 Likes

Hi @clickinhistory . I have also opted out of organ donation as a Chronic myeloid leukaemia patient I am not sure there would be much of my body that would be safe to donate. My partner is aware of my thoughts on donation so I assume if anything can be used he would agree to it.

3 Likes