Over half of Brits don’t know symptoms of blood cancer

I thought this was an interesting article since its Blood Cancer Awareness Month. Feel Free to comment, read, and share your thoughts.

1 Like

Yes, Josh, thanks for posting this article, it really shows the importance of Blood Cancer Awareness Month and Bloodwise raising it’s awareness as collectively blood cancers are the 5th largest cancer.
It is really though provoking. Take care.

1 Like

@JoshuaBloodwise @Erica I had never even heard of blood cancers when I was diagnosed 11 years ago. I had heard of Leukaemia, but not lymphomas or myeloma. When I was admitted to hospital and had a tumour removed I was told that it was Hodgkins, but I didn’t realise straight away that it was a type of cancer. When I did some research I discovered that I had several of the classic symptoms…sweats, itching, rash, breathlessness… but although I had been in hospital for a week 5 months before diagnosis, and had seen a cardiologist and dermatologist (my GP was doing so much to get me diagnosed) it was only when my GP arranged for me to see another cardiologist in another hospital that I was properly investigated. My treatment was in a teaching hospital, and when I was an inpatient they used to send the medical students to me for a chat. One even followed me through from diagnosis to discharge from my operation, and used photos and medical history for a presentation to fellow students. The cardiothoracic surgeon also asked my permission to use my case for a medical paper. I know that my case must have been unusual as it was discussed at the multi-disciplinary meeting the day I was admitted, and haematologists from 2 hospitals came to see me just before the operation.

2 Likes

How about a similar survey on GPs? Hands up who thinks they would score any better?

1 Like

Hi @ChrisD, great to hear from you.
I have to say I am so lucky I have a fantastic GP practice and GP, I feel well looked after and cared for.
During Lockdown 1 they rang and asked to confirm my next of kin, I said ‘do you think I am going to pop my clogs then?’, no actually they were taking the opportunity of updating patient records.

Really useful information

1 Like

I too had never heard of most of the blood cancers except for Leukemia and I didn’t know that was a blood cancer. I certainly wouldn’t have been able to tell you what the symptoms were and I didn’t actually get most of the symptoms. I had terrible back pain but everyone including me thought that that was all it was. Only my eagle eyed GP had suspicions and must have worked it out and he never actually saw me in person, he made the diagnosis by phone but didn’t tell as he thought I should go to hospital and get it confirmed before I was told and then it took me a while to convince them all over again…

2 Likes