Welcome back!

Peripheral neuropathy

Hello
I’m currently in remission from non Hodgkin lymphoma. Two weeks ago my mild peripheral neuropathy flared up to become very intense. My GP has put me on gabapentin which completely knocks me out. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem?

1 Like

Hi @Cameo4me sorry I cannot help, but I just wanted to say I am thinking of you, your peripheral neuropathy and feeling knocked out sounds really debilitating. look after yourself and please keep letting us know how you are.
I hope others can help you more.

1 Like

Look after yourself and rest as much as you can
Keep us posted

1 Like

Gabapentin is used to treat epilepsy. If you don’t have epilepsy I would ask your GP why he/she is prescribing, particularly as you have bad side effects. I’ve had peripheral neuropathy for about 6 years with numbness and muscle weakness but fortunately little pain. All the doctors and consultants I’ve seen say there is no treatment.

1 Like

Hi Catcher
Thanks for your reply. Apparently gabapentin is also used for peripheral neuropathy and can be very successful- unfortunately not for me. My GP put me on it whilst I’m waiting for results of blood tests as I wasn’t sleeping.I’ve halved the dose which has helped a bit thank goodness

1 Like

Thanks. I guess it was prescribed for pain management rather than the PN itself.

1 Like

Hello,I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with the peripheral neuropathy and gabapentin I have heard its a strong painkiller .I have read that capsaicin cream can help, it says it stops the pain pathway to the brain which sounds good but it can also cause skin iritation .I have worsening peripheral neuropathy in my feet but no pain ,just affects my balance and I have to be careful how I move. I walk every day,nordic walking with poles and exercise so that helps.I don’t know if you know there are exercises for neuropathy,mainly keeps the muscles strong and good for the endorphins .I am currently being monitored for MGUS but not sure whether it’s that causing my worsening neuropathy or if it’s narrowing vertebrae so I just have to get on with it. I hope that helps.

1 Like