Prescription Exemption

Hi All

By having a MPN are you eligible for a prescription exemption?

I feel really cheeky for asking and or even applying?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Rammie18. I got it when I was diagnosed. Here is the link explains what you need to https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates

3 Likes

@Nichola75

Brill thank you… I’ll chat to my clinical nurse and my next venesection

1 Like

Yes do apply I have an MPN and have it, you are well entitled to it, it applies to all forms of cancers :grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks @Jilly20 for letting know. Much appreciated

1 Like

I would also add that the prescription exemption applies for all medications, and for prescriptions after treatment ends

2 Likes

@Pisces56 thanks I’ll try and get in contact with gp tomorrow

2 Likes

@Pisces56 @Jilly20 @Nichola75

So been in touch with GP who has frustratedly put me antidepressants (not liking at all because after being a year on them they made me feel no different and felt the side effects more than the positives)

Put me on propanolol for my anxiety also… had them when I’ve needed them in the past fortnight but again… not felt any different.

I asked about the prescription exemption and he said I don’t qualify because PV isn’t a cancer and I don’t have cancer I just have high blood levels…

That really has knocked me back into now being proper confused.

I’m not looking at exploiting the system by asking for some freebies it was more than if in the next few months when I need to start taking hydroxyurea tablets I don’t wanna be faffing about.

I’ll be honest I don’t know if what he said is true and the passive and some what dismissive chat to how feeling or my diagnosis is really me taking things more seriously than what they are…

Argghhh… So angry and frustrated and confusion and lost… it’s so wrong how a person saying one thing can trigger a downfall of so many dominos… but then again has he set the balloon of it all free??

1 Like

Hi @Rammie. I am so sorry for all that you are coping with at the moment and how it is making you feel. My heart goes out to you. I have a different MPN, myelofibrosis, but according to the MPN Voice website, all MPN’s, including PV, are classed as blood cancers because the blood cells are being produced in an uncontrollable way. I suggest you contact MPN Voice, or the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support team as they should be able to give you some guidance. It is so frustrating for you when it seems your GP isn’t taking it seriously. These MPN’s are so rare and GP’s probably don’t come across them very often. Take care and let us know how you get on. Warm wishes. Willow

3 Likes

As @Willow has said I would talk to someone on Blood Cancer UK support helpline 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm weekdays, 10am-1pm at the weekends. Good luck

2 Likes

@Willow

Thank you so much for your words of support…
It’s just so hard to be heard at the moment and things to change or feel once you have.

I agree the people on here have been fantastic!

I get covid and all its restrictions and I’m not protesting against any of the things in place… but I hate speaking on the phone ( I don’t know why I always have… I’m not low in confidence or self esteem I just find it really constricted…) I miss that face to face interaction and I actually really look forward to my hospital appointments it’s just really frustrating taking about something I don’t know and people don’t know what is actually going on…

I’m just getting really tired

1 Like

Hi @Rammie18, I am sorry you are having so much frustration and confusion it must be really wearing for you and I am not surprised you are getting tired. Others have given you good advice and I understand that you hate speaking on the phone. All I can say is that it helps me to write down what I want to say beforehand and tell people my anxiety of using the phone and my experience of the Blood Cancer UK support line is that they are all lovely people and will understand.
Take care of yourself and keep us up to date.

2 Likes

Hi @Rammie18

We hope you’re doing okay, and we’re so sorry to hear of the impact this has had on you emotionally.
We do classify PV as a type of blood cancer, and you’re very welcome to share some of our information about PV here: https://bloodcancer.org.uk/understanding-blood-cancer/polycythaemia-vera-pv/polycythaemia-vera/ with your GP if this is helpful.

Please do let us know either on here or our support line if there’s anything you’d like to talk through Rammie further . We also wondered, are your treatment team aware of this recent conversation with your GP?

Once again, we’re so sorry to hear how much this has knocked your confidence but please do keep reaching out for support

Su

3 Likes

@SuBloodcancerUK @Erica

Thank you so much as always x

2 Likes

Tammie, so sorry you have one of the useless GPs, mine is pretty rubbish too. If the GP will not sign the form ask your heamatologist if he can sign it. You are entitled to free prescriptions, for resources to back this up try Maz at MPN Voice website. Good luck and don’t give up fighting for this

4 Likes

Thank you @Janet so much for your supportive words… nice to know people got my back. :slight_smile:

I’ll do just that when I next someone.

4 Likes

Hi Rammie,
I see a lot of useful advice here already but if it helps I was told by my blood nurse to ask my GP for an FP92A form
I filled it out in the surgery as it’s a short form and left it for my GP to sign and send off - then my exemptions card turned up in post
The form is limited in options so I just selected cancer as the reason
Good luck mate

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Graham77. It should be straight forward shouldn’t it. It frustrates me when people have so many difficulties getting things that shouldn’t be a problem. Hopefully @Rammie18 can sort it out! Hope you’re doing ok?

2 Likes

Hi @Graham77, a welcome to our forum and you have just demonstrated the forum’s value by sharing your information and experience to help someone else. I hope the forum members can support you and do the same for you.
How are you doing in these scary, unprecedented times?

3 Likes

Thanks @Graham77

I’ll give that a go… still awaiting hearing back from clinical nurse as everything has gone quiet again making it all very frustrating and making me feel even more anxious… I just wanna know what is going on… feel like I don’t know if I’m coming or going?!

1 Like