Relapse? Something new?

Hi all

I was diagnosed with stage 3a Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 2013 when I was 24. I had 6 months of ABVD chemo and everything was well managed - I’ve been in remission since January 2014 - so about 9, nearly 10 years. I’ve not had any health issues since. I went to my check ups for 5 years without a worry. Then 2 weeks ago I felt a strange lump at the base of my skull. It didn’t feel like how it often does when I get a small swelling due to infection. I went to the GP the very next day who said to wait for 2 weeks. I happened to have a pre booked medical examin for 3 days later (applying to adopt) and that doctor had another feel for me and felt a second lump on the side of my neck. She booked me in for bloods that were done a few days later and I got the results back in 24 hours - bloods all normal, including full blood count, spleen and liver function check, the whole works. I explained I was still worried and they hadn’t gone down (just over a week had passed) and due to my history she agreed to book me in for an ultrasound which I finally have tomorrow - it’s been just over 2 weeks but it’s felt like a lifetime.

I haven’t become ill at any point so I don’t feel like the lumps are from an infection. But I don’t have any other lymphoma symptoms and my bloods were okay. I guess I’m trying to hold onto some hope whilst also knowing what could be on the horizon and wondering if I’d survive a relapse. I generally deal with stress well, but I basically haven’t stopped crying for 2 weeks. It’s a bad gut feeling after 9 years of not really worrying.

Anyway, I don’t have a question, I guess I just wanted to share somewhere.

1 Like

Hi @Rtk.
I’m really glad you did share. That’s what the forum is for and I think we will all understand how you are feeling.
I’m so sorry you are having to go through this worry again and the waiting doesn’t help does it! Our mind goes in to overdrive and often we think the worst, which is only natural but isn’t always the outcome.
It sounds like you are in good hands now and will hopefully get some answers soon.
Have you got a good support around you? Remember the support line is there if you need it.
I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow. Please, when you feel ready, let us know how it goes.
Lots of love X

1 Like

Hi @Rtk a really big welcome to our forum, I am so glad you have found us.
I find just sharing on our forum helps me somehow, I suppose I know I am around people who will understand.
Yes, the waiting and not knowing are the worst feelings, it seems forever.
My mind just goes into overdrive with the ‘what if’s’ etc. etc.
You also say that you are applying to adopt so perhaps that is in the mix as well.
I reckon crying is OK, I internalise things and I do not think that is healthy.
As for going through treatment again, if, and I stress, if that did happen (I am not a medical person) I expect it has changed from 10 yrs ago. More kinder, personalised, targeted treatments now thanks to research and trials often funded by Blood Cancer UK.
I hope the ultrasound goes OK tomorrow and please do let us know how you get on.
Fingers and toes crossed for you and really look after yourself

1 Like