Return to work after shielding - 2021

Feeling so much better @SuBloodcancerUK my consultant is so good - I’m very lucky. I’ll feel much better once the work conversation is done. I’ll let you know how I get on :blush:

2 Likes

Work meeting didn’t go well. Even though I have a letter from the consultant it means nothing. I agree with work - that when I return - they have done all that they can to make it safe. Because Im saying that then apparently there is no reason for me not to return. I don’t have a leg to stand on which means the only option is getting signed off sick which I don’t want to do. Why is this so hard!

1 Like

Oh @Nichola75, I am so sorry that your work meeting did not go well, you have certainly done your best. I don’t know why this is so hard for so many of you, it has been a real struggle and what does that do for your fatigue?
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi Newgirl,
Thanks for your response. It certainly is a difficult decision especially when both of our professions involves heavily on being so close and hands on with our patients. I know at some point things have to start to try and get back to some kind of normality and this has to come but I am still really worried, using AGP aerosol generating procedures in just about everything thing we do wearing a FFP3 mask almost most of the day, just freaks me out at the moment and I know with all the precautions and enhanced PPE should be safe I still do t feel that way, my consultant said at some stage we have to try to return as best as possible to return to normal, this also makes it harder for me
I am sure you have similar worries, I hope you get some good advice from your co sultanas and doctors and feel confident to return if and when you do

2 Likes

Thank you Rammie. I have a Teams call with my HR Manager tomorrow so I will see what they think to a phased return.

1 Like

Hi Nicola,
I will contact ACAS today and see what they say. My employer has not offered a risk assessment or occupation health adviser so maybe it’s worth mentioning that in my call with them tomorrow. I certainly won’t be risking my health or being forced to return back to the office. x

1 Like

Let us know how you get on. A risk assessment is definitely something I know has to be in place. Good luck.

2 Likes

@Nichola75 brilliant news

1 Like

Any news @TM1972 . I had a meeting with work this morning. Occupational health referral completed. Work also spoke to public health, and alongside my consultant letter have finally agreed that I can wait until after the second vaccine to return. Such a relief but so frustrated it was so hard!

2 Likes

That is really good news @Nichola75, but having to fight your corner so much I expect has really taken it out of you, which is the last thing you need. I do not deal with stress well and it would have been all too much for me and I would be really fatigued now.

Hi @Erica, exhausted!

1 Like

@Nichola75 we hope you’re feeling okay since your last post Nichola, and so good to hear you’re feeling more relieved now :+1:

And to the rest of our lovely forum family, we just wanted to let you all know we have recently updated our support information around work and shielding pausing- please feel free to have a look here: Coronavirus: support for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK we hope it’s helpful to you all!

Any questions, we’re here :+1:

Take care,
Su

2 Likes

You can contact your doctor and explain why you’re so apprehensive and he can give you 1 of 2 doctors notes. A normal off sick note or a must work at home note. The second sort would be ideal for you as you have been successfully working from home for a while

2 Likes

I spoke with the companies HR Manager on Monday. Apparently it is the managing director and my line manager who are insisting I return back promptly. They don’t appear to be concerned with my blood clot on my lung or the risks, or my low blood counts especially my Lymphocytes. They have now asked for my consultant to write to them to see if I am fit to work. He has already written earlier last week recommending I return to work on a phased return following my second jab. The now want another letter. No discussion on a risk assessment or occupational health. Now I am frightened if I don’t return back at the end of April, my job is at risk. I’ve been with this company for 30 years this year!! Really stressed now.

1 Like

I understand completely but try not to stress (easier said than done I know!) there are still some things you can try:

1. Did you try ACAS. Might be worth it?
  2. Can contact public health? That was the last call my workplace made and it was them who said they had to go with what my consultant said.
  3. Can you ask for a referral to occupational health?
    Sorry to bombard you with questions. It’s just all what I’ve learnt over the last week of fighting for the same thing X
2 Likes

I bet you are really stressed @TM1972 and after 30 yrs service as well. @Nichola75 has given you really good advice and please let us know how you get on and take lots of care, we are here to support you each other on this stressful issue.

1 Like

I have to say my work have been really supportive. I have low grade non hodgkins lymphoma and work as a midwife. Following my haemotology appointment on thursday they said for.me not to return unless I can go on green zone ward (there are no green zone on maternity) so its been agreed i work from home doing clerical work for next few months until next review. Its making me feel .uch.mor3 positive for when i do return to work. Look after yourselves everybody

2 Likes

That’s so supportive @Newgirl. Can I ask what stage you are at? I have the same diagnosis but will be returning after my second vaccine. Lots of saftety measures in place at the school where I work, so :crossed_fingers:all will be ok.

1 Like

I was diagnosed in Jan 2020. I am stage 4a (whatever that means). I try not to google too much to be honest. I am on watch and wait or active management. I am at the stage now where i feel really well and positive and am jappy to organise things for future rather than think i will be dead. I am learning to live with the disease rather than scared i will die from it if that makes sense.

1 Like

Hi @Newgirl, it sounds to me that you have come a long way in a year to change your thinking around so much, also you have had the double whammy of having Covid times in the mix. How did your thinking change so much?

1 Like