SCT from daughter, anybody with experience of a half match?

Hi
I’ve got a date for my Stem cell transplant of 28th March after a long wait due to much difficulty finding a match. In the end it’s been decided that my daughter is the best option even though she is only a half match. I feel anxious about it all although I know it is for the best.
Has anyone any experience of a half match transplant?
Thanks Sue

2 Likes

Hi @Suey,
Thanks for sharing this with us. I’m pleased to hear that you have a date for transplant & i must say it is so very normal to feel anxious. Please do remember that If you ever would wish to talk things through please don’t hesitate to call our support service team on 0808 2080 888.
I’m pleased you have reached out within our forum to find & share experiences and i hope you find it helpful. We do hold some general forum threads on stem cell transplants which i have linked here-
Hi I’m being advised to have SCT and I’m very worried. I would be grateful to hear from people thank you - Going through treatment - Blood Cancer UK Forum in the meantime along side our 7 steps booklet- Blood stem cell and bone marrow transplants booklet | Blood Cancer UK Shop
We are aware that Anthony Nolan may also hold some information regarding ‘Haplo’ transplants and in case it is useful to you i have linked to some of these below-
The haplo transplant that saved my life - Megan’s story | Anthony Nolan
Patients & Families Forum | Anthony Nolan
Patients & Families Forum | Anthony Nolan.

I do hope this helps somewhat & take care,
Lauran

2 Likes

Hi @Suey I hope that someone can help you.
There is a long thread called ‘Awaiting or considering or had a stem cell transplant, a place to share here’ where a lot of people have shared their experiences, plus other threads about stem cell transplants, I cannot remember any that have actually answered your question though.
The 28th March is not long now so take a lot of care of yourself and keep asking questions on here.
Lauran has also given you lots of great information too.
We will be here to support you as and when you need us.
Look after yourself

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, Megan’s story is reassuring. I have a copy of the 7 steps but daren’t read too far ahead, maybe it’s time to be brave!!
Sue

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I especially asked the transplant team to leave it as long as possible before giving me a date as I am a bit of a worrier!
Had 3 weeks notice so hopefully I won’t get too anxious!
Sue

1 Like

Hi @Suey,
Thanks for your reply. That is completely understandable. Often too much information can simply be too much. Again if at any point you feel you would like to talk any feelings or fears through, our support team are always here for you.

I wish you well,
Lauran

1 Like

Hello Suey

One of my rare really down moments during my treatment was when 2 of my siblings got tested and it turned out that they were a perfect match for each other but only a half match for me. My sister found an article which talked very positively about the good success rates of half match stem cell donations which cheered me up a lot. I’ll see if I can find it for you. (So far I haven’t had to have a transplant)

All the very best with your treatment

2 Likes

Hi Roskie
Thanks for your reply.
My sister wasn’t a match at all, much to our parents surprise!
Yesterday I had a meeting with one of the consultants who will be treating me, she was very positive although some of what she said was a little scary! I am at the point of just wanting to get on with it! It seems half match transplants are not so common but have good outcomes - fingers crossed!
Sue

3 Likes

Good luck @Suey . Transplants are not easy but you’re facing it with the right attitude in wanting to get on with it. Once it’s over you can begin your recovery and return to normal life. Let us know how you get on.

2 Likes