Sleep Apnea & Polycythaemia Ruba Vera

Hi,

I read somewhere that there coukd be a link between Polycythaemia vera (PV) & Sleep Apnea!??? Ok, in my situation, it was confirmed via blood test that I am positive Polycythaemia Ruba Vera Jak2.

I haven’t been checked for Sleep Apnea but do feel I am lumbered with it due to symptoms I have which are very much similar to the condition. Once confirmed Polycythaemia vera (PV) then Polycythaemia vera (PV) it is, but Sleep Apnea may trigger Polycythaemia vera (PV) due to lack of oxygen as a result of it. I am subject to correction on this!

Had an experience beginning of March this year whereby a bruised muscle on my side following a fall left me in agony I couldn’t lie down, had to sleep propped up for 3 months.

During that time, my dry glued together throat and mouth eased off almost completely. As I am on warfarin blood thinners, Dr in A&E was limited to what she could prescribe due to the interaction of ie antifflamatory pain killers. They affected my stomach to the extent that I just survived on water, tea & a food suppliment. I couldn’t take the hydrea or any med apart from the warfarin which are so small and easy to swallow. This pattern went on for weeks. I had just started back on the Hydroxy few days before my Haematology appointment. My prescription needed updating, asked Dr for one She came back to me with my blood results, lo & behold all were within the normal range! I didn’t need to take any Hydrea. Four weeks appointment scheduled, again bloods were fine, no hydrea required, another 4 weeks blood test again. This visit showed my white cell count to be elevated so was put back on Hydroxy again. Once back on them, my white cell count came down gradually but is still above the normal range. HCT has been within the normal range.

I am very interested as to why my blood readings came back to normal when I had to sleep in a sitting or propped up position. Anyone out there that can throw some light on this subject?
Did mention to Haematologists assistant re any connection, did tell her I was fully aware my diagnosis for Polycythaemia vera (PV) was confirmed via blood test, BUT mentioned if Sleep Apnea could trigger it further. She just didn’t want to listen, & cut me short. I have & always had an enquiring mind always tryining to join the dots where possible. The fact that I had read the possible connection re Polycythaemia vera (PV) & Sleep Apnea by chance, then my own experience over those past few months, has promted me to print this post. Looking forward to any info on this possible connection.
Polycythaemia vera (PV) Mags.

1 Like

Oh @PVMags I love your enquiring mind, never stop postin, and you never know others may be of more help to you to ‘join the dot’s’
Take lots of care of yourself

1 Like