Stem Cell Transplant Shopping/Packing List

Anita
Sounds good and pleased you are on the mend.
Yes I had a dry mouth after transplant for quite a while after, had to have lots of foods with sauce or gravy so they were not dry.
You can get some replacement products which help, hospital gave me some to bring home, you spray them in or wipe them in you gums, think they gave me a product called dry mouth.
Hope it helps

3 Likes

Really glad youā€™re recovering, @Anita - thatā€™s great news. Yes, now I think about it, I did have a bit of a dry mouth, both in hospital (they gave me a lemon-flavoured spray to alleviate it) and at home. It went quite quickly once I was at home, which is why I had forgotten about it. But @Cannonā€™s foods with sauces sounds like a very good idea. And maybe chewing gum or sucking a sweet, to produce a bit more saliva. Iā€™m sure your doctor could prescribe you a spray if you tell them. Best of luck with it, and enjoy that soup!

3 Likes

Hi,
I experienced such a dry mouth after treatment that it constantly woke me at night when I used to get through a large glass of water, in time it has improved.
In the main sips of water and sucking a sweet (I found tic tacs good as small and also took away the horrible taste I also experienced) was the most effective. I also was not without sugar free gum. I didnā€™t get on with the artificial salvia spray but I know it does help others.
I think Iā€™ve tried every drink going since treatment but cool water still the best. Hope it improves soonā€¦hugs

2 Likes

Hi Deborah

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. It is 7 weeks since I had my intensive chemotherapy followed the next day by my stem cells being transplanted so it may take a few weeks/months before things start to improve. I have the spray but donā€™t want artificial saliva I just want my own to start working properly again. I suppose I shall have to be patient and hope everything goes back to normal, well as normal as it can be.

Regards

Anita

2 Likes

Take care of yourself @Anita we do not make ā€˜patient patientsā€™ do we and it is so easy for people to say ā€˜give it timeā€™ but it is not so easy when it is our time.
I hope others can give you some handy hints, but I believe in the dual properties of mints too as @Deborah26 says.
Be kind to yourself

Hi @Anita I have been thinking of you and I just wondered how you are doing?
Look after yourself

Hi Erica

Thanks for thinking of me. I am doing ok. My next check up is in a couple of weeks so doctors are pleased with the way things are going although been told too early to see if I am in remission.

My back does get very sore when I do anything physical even though I am on 20 mg morphine sulphate twice a day. I hope they can do something down the line to repair some of the fractures in my spine because if they canā€™t then my quality of life will be severely impacted. My salivary glands are still not working so food is very dry -hopefully will get better eventually, Iā€™ll just keep drinking lots when I am eating.

Hope you are well and enjoying the lovely weather.

Regards

Anita

3 Likes

Yes, I am enjoying the lovely weather thanks @Anita, sorry to hear your back is so painful and your salivary glands are still not working.
It is interesting that you would think that our blood cancer impacts us most, I realise your salivary glands are caused by your blood cancer treatment, but like me the pain from back impacts us more on a daily basis.
Please let us know how you get on at your check up in a couple of weeks.
Keep cool and look after yourself

Hi @Anita . Reading this today . The dentist gave me fluoride toothpaste for dry mouth . I used to like fresh salmon but that reacted badly with me since this diagnosis of myeloma .

I still get away with the warmed up rice . I just need to make sure left overs are cooled put in fridge and heated really well for a second day .

Take care for now .

1 Like

Hi @Mayo57 and @Anita I am a heated custard and cold ice cream girl, but the custard has to be the tinned variety.
I remember that I was ill once and sent my hubby for supplies and he came back with 3 containers of Birds custard powder, and I just cried uncontrollably!!
Take care

1 Like

Hi there
The artificial saliva is a god send I used it a lot for the first few weeks after my recent Stem cell transplant
It will come and go depending on any medications that you take too.

Keeping hydrated also helps

1 Like

Hi Mayo57
Thanks for information. Fortunately saliva back to normal so can now eat anything and enjoying food again. Didnā€™t like the chemical spray so just drank lots of water. I suppose the lesson learnt is to have patience and things get back to normal eventually.
Regards

3 Likes