Stem Cell Treatment: Is it worth it?

Oh @Nethermoor, I just cannot believe that. I am so, so sorry. This all seems too much for one person’s shoulders. Have you thought about counselling at some point? I’m sure you’d get a referral via your GP or hospital consultant. Are you talking to friends about all this? I realise men are sometimes not such big talkers - I don’t think my husband talked about things as much as I’d hoped, to let some of it out. Or just continue talking to us here.

This might not be for you, but I found guided meditations/self hypnosis very useful for injecting a big dose of positivity into my mind. The fear of leaving my son felt like it might overwhelm me initially, so I had to do something, and this was a mind-saver. I listened to two tracks regularly - one (found on YouTube) picturing my perfect health (including bone marrow and blood cells) and another guiding me through the donor stem cells making their home in my body in a harmonious way, to provide perfect health. This one was produced by an American health professional, and I had to buy it - but it was worth it. Something to think about, anyway - mindset has a lot to do with how traumatic or not the whole period is. I still think of it all as traumatic, but 18 months down the line, it does feel like a distant nightmare, and not something I am still living.

Yes, that’s a great way of looking at things - bringing a halt to this horrible visitor cancer in your immediate life. You and your team can do it. Show it the door.

All the very best.

2 Likes

Hi. I’ve had counselling along with psychology. This did help. I also have some very good friends I talk to about my feelings.

The biggest help I found though was yoga and meditation. My teacher really helped me through the grieving process, so much so that by Xmas I felt like my life was moving on and was feeling very positive about 2022! Ha, by the middle of January I had to stop yoga as I was getting breathless and light headed in certain moves. My sarcoma was growing on my lung next to my heart and started pressing on the main vein (vena cava) that goes back into the heart. I eventually had to have a stent fitted which has really helped with my symptoms.

Problem I have now I’m a lot weaker and have to be in and out of hospital, so Yoga, along with other sports I love is out of the question.

2 Likes

It sounds like you had a difficult time deciding @Nethermoor and that can’t have been any easier after what happened with your wife. I’m glad you found a course of action that you can be positive about and give you something to aim for. I hope the transplant goes well. Speaking as someone who has had a transplant, they are unpleasant but the vast majority of them are straightforward and there is hope. I’ve been in remission for 3 years since mine. Let us know how you get on.

3 Likes

Ah great that you’ve had lots of support @Nethermoor, and your yoga and meditation sounds ideal. Fantastic that it helped with the grief so well - so what an absolute shame that you can’t do it now. Will this sarcoma go with treatment? Is the stent a permanent thing? Perhaps you will be able to exercise once you’ve recovered from the treatment? I hope so. I suffered heart damage from my chemo, but I’m doing loads of exercise now - it isn’t stopping me. And I used to be much lazier on the exercise front. So fingers crossed for you.

1 Like

@Nethermoor , I can’t imagine how you have managed over the last few years with the horrendous experiences that have come your way.

I’m so pleased that you are going to have the transplant. Jo would be so proud of you.

The transplant will give you the best chance of being able to do the things that you enjoy again. It may take some time but where there’s a will there’s a way and you are clearly a very strong person that’s going to give it their best shot.

You are lucky to have good friends to support you, that’s so important. Keep talking and posting to let us all know how you are doing. Sending so many good wishes to you. :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi @Erica
Sorry for not replying earlier but I tend to dip in & out, like a butterfly.
We moved house in August so things have been a little hectic. Starting to settle a little now, most of the boxes are unpacked, & because it’s a new-build we have had to get lights & curtains etc.
How are you? You’re such a supportive person on here, I take my hat off to you.
We like to think that our little pearls of wisdom are received well & are helpful.
Keep up your good work.
Regards,
Christine

2 Likes

Great to hear from you @Corfu80. I am not surprised you have been quiet.
How exciting that you have moved to a new build, a blank canvas as they say, but comes with it’s challenges I expect.
It is probably as much of a waiting game as our medical interactions.
I love beautiful butterflies.
Just enjoy your new home and take it steady