Tips for personal medical records / binder

Hi everyone, I would like to start a binder for this new journey in my life. For instance I already have four slips of paper for my first CAT scan, can see the need to keep on top of things. (Doctor’s referrral, clinic’s prescription for the contrast, informed consent about the contrast, and directions to the clinic.)

Do you have organizing tips for a healthcare binder? I’m not much of an app person but might consider one if it came highly recommended. Was also thinking of starting an Excel of medicines and any side effects I might feel (or if they were useless, as the two cough syrups I have tried so far). Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi
I was given a blue folder that has sections it’s a ring binder

I also use my iPhone for my medications and I have a reminder set to alert me (I do forget)

2 Likes

That looks like a great system, I’ll see if I can get something similar in France or make similar charts myself in Word. Thanks!

2 Likes

Brilliant question @Calathea and I am very impressed with @2DB posh blue folder.
Yes, it is definitely worth keeping up the mass of paperwork we collect (I also have other conditions with their own paperwork
I have my own co-incidentally big blue binder folder with a lot of plastic wallets in it.
I put a small sheet of paper in the front of each wallet with a note of what the next action is.
I do have typed diaries of my meds, when I diagnosed with each condition etc.
I also do have charts I have made so I can log my blood test results.
It is definitely worth starting off as you mean to go on and the simpler the system the better.
I also only keep the front pages of letters (not the instructions on parking etc)
I await others systems.

4 Likes

Thanks, @Erica, the plastic wallets are a great idea, too, since they would hold items of different sizes and even page thicknesses. For example, prescriptions are on an onion-type paper in France, not sure how long they would hold up in a three-hole binder.

2 Likes

The paperwork you collect after each appointment can soon start mounting up so a good idea to keep it all organised. I remember when Mum was having her treatment she had a plastic folder and a book where her weight, future appt dates etc were written. A lever arch file with separate sections using dividers might be a good idea.
A spreadsheet on Excel sounds like an excellent idea - I do like a spreadsheet myself!

3 Likes

Thanks for those ideas, @Joanne01. I hadn’t thought of weight or other metrics not related to blood counts.

2 Likes

Hi @Calathea,
I think this is a great practical conversation to start. It can be really useful to understand what others do to keep all important information together and home and also for appointments etc.
In case anyone is interested our online shop stocks a branded health information folder which may be helpful for holding our information booklets and hospital letters, treatment cards etc. I appreciate its not a binder style but may be a useful addition to some. You can view and order this here Health information folder | Blood Cancer UK Shop.

Best Wishes, Lauran

3 Likes

Thanks, @LauranBloodCancerUK, I’m seeing a real pattern here with all the blue! Mine will also be blue, what a coincidence.

2 Likes