Trying to avoid infections

I am determined to live my life to the full, but I am aware that I have a compromised immune system and need to take reasonable precautions to try and avoid getting nfections.
I tend to get a lot of urine infections so I try to ensure I drink a lot of water and cranberry juice especially in the hot weather or when I am exercising.
I don’t have a garden to tend, young children or pets to think about.
What are reasonable steps?
I try and keep the flat fairly clean, apart from my 44 year old sons room, but I do not clean the shopping when I unpack it.
I suppose going out and about is the big one for me, I am a great bus user and I try and face the window and if anyone near coughs and sneezes I stop breathing!!
However I do not clean my hands every time I get off the bus.
I wash my hands after using the toilet etc. but then with public toilets I open the outer door using the door handle.
I could keep writing about this subject.
I carry antiseptic wipes in my bag and wash my hands a lot.
I would welcome other peoples thoughts and tips.

1 Like

Hi @Erica. I think the small bottles of anti-bacterial gel are useful, as they provide some protection against picking up nasties from handles, bus poles etc. I have booked my flu jab for this year (apparently I am having a different one than most people as I am not over 65) and I had the pneumonia vaccination a few years ago (It provides protection for 10-15 yrs). Unless there is a reason where everything has to be scrupulously clean I think our immune systems need a little normality

1 Like

Louise, good points, I am a antibacterial wet wipes girl myself. Take care.

1 Like

I am obsessed with anti bac gel! I have mini ones in my bag, but also larger pumps by front door for after rubbish has been taken out, and on my desk. My family and friends now pre warn me of bugs so I can elect whether to see them, but I hope that the flu and pneumonia jabs will help too. All my blood counts other than my lymphocytes are back in normal range, but they’re hovering along the bottom, so I figure it’s good practice to be a little OCD and in turn compensate for the grubby people I come into contact with on public transport :wink:

2 Likes

@MissP143 We must all keep anti bacterial product producers in business!!! Take care of yourself.

1 Like

@MissP143,

Is there a place you can buy huge stocks of anti bac gel? The small ones usually run out quite fast and be quite expensive.

@Erica,
do you buy larger ones or have the small any bac gels that you keep in a bag?

1 Like

Hi Josh, I am a reader of ingredients and often Supermarkets own brand packs of antibacterial wipes are bigger and cheaper with the same % of vital ingredients. But I await others thoughts?

I buy small ones and then I have pump ones on my desk, in rooms at home, but I think it would make more sense to buy as large as poss and decant into small ones. I don’t know where though. For anyone who is currently neutropenic it might be worth asking their GP for the prescription stuff that docs use that is also moisturising. I asked my GP for some when I was first DX but as the hospital letter hadn’t arrived with her she refused to believe that I needed it! I was worried at time that the anti bac would dry my knuckles out and then with cracks in skin it was another way for bacteria to get in. However, I found that the sensitive skin carex anti bac gel worked ok and didn’t dry my skin out

1 Like

Hello @MissP143,

Thank you for sharing your experience with anti-bacterial gel, and some advice for others who may be in a similar situation. How did you manage what must have been a very frustrating situation, and how did it make you feel?

Hi Erica, I always have the little bottles of gel in bag (we take several on holiday - in the suitcase or you will lose them at security check). I did this before I was diagnosed. When using public loos, I wash my hands (obviously you would think, but my husband made me aware of just how many people do not wash their hands), I then open doors using a tissue and generally use a bit of gel once clear of toilet areas. We noticed last year on a far eastern cruise that every toilet area and restaurant was staffed with people armed with gel sprays and all toilets, wash basins etc were cleaned after EVERY use. We have just returned from a RIU hotel in Cape Verde and the same thing applied there plus every hotel room was stocked with at least 18 large bottles of water all the time.

2 Likes

Hello @AliceS,

Thank you so much for sharing some tips regarding gels especially on holiday. Do have anymore suggestions to avoid infections? It could be very valuable for others, who may want to try a different option.

1 Like

Sorry, but slow to reply here! I’m afraid to say that after treatment I fired off a number of complaints to my gp surgery regarding a number of issues, including how upset I was when I felt I was treated on the phone as if I wasn’t being honest about my diagnosis, simply because the surgery hadn’t received the letter from the hospital.

2 Likes