Virtual sick note

Hi there I was diagnosed with polycythemia couple years ago and like many received the letter telling me to isolate for 12 weeks both my wife and I work for the Royal Mail she’s due to return to work Wednesday but was told she need to get a note we have tried everything on the 111 nhs website but no joy tried ringing told go back on website phone gp told to go on website but we can’t find anywhere where we can obtain note if she has to return to work there’s a fair chance I will end up in icu help

1 Like

Hi Ronald and welcome to our community forum. I have heard that showing the letter that you have received from the NHS is evidence enough for employers and there is discussion because neither of you are actually going off sick but the Government (via the NHS letter) is telling you not to work but to isolate for 12 weeks. Anyway our Blood Cancer support line is free from UK landlines and mobile phones on 0808 2080 888 and they are available to take your call Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm and on Wednesdays from 10am-1pm. The main thing is you both keep safe and please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hi @Ronald welcome to our community forum! I’m sorry to hear that you and your wife haven’t yet found answers to your questions around this, it sounds really frustrating for you both.

Have you and your wife shown your employer your letter which shows that you are very high risk?

In case it’s helpful at all, there’s some information on the ACAS website for people who are very high risk - https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus/vulnerable-people-and-high-risk

1 Like

Hi Ronald. I have chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and (although I have yet to get my letter) have been advised to shield for12 weeks. My husband is a key worker (food production). My initial interpretation (and advice from Bloodwise site and video) was that partners/family had to isolate for 12 weeks too if an extremely vulnerable person lived in the house. When my husband told work that he would need to take 12 weeks off, they looked it up on the govt. shielding advice page and found that it states that partners/family are NOT required to isolate with the vulnerable person, but to follow strict social distancing in line with everyone else (including going to work if they are essential workers), unless they have symptoms of course, in which case they have to follow the general rules for self isolation:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

My husband’s employer said they would give him the time off if he didn’t want to come to work for the 12 week period, but it would be unpaid leave. This is obviously a cause for concern for the extremely vulnerable. If you live with someone who is exposed to multiple contacts, it makes you feel very at risk indeed. But it seems that employers will follow govt. advice, and the advice is that partners are not required to shield themselves…I’d be interested to hear how your wife gets on with Royal Mail in this respect. It’s an issue for many extremely vulnerable people living in households with essential workers who cannot work from home. Julia

1 Like

The letter actually states that it is evidence for you employer as I sent it to mine. Did you receive a letter? X

1 Like

Hi Julia, welcome to our community forum, you have joined us just the right time. It will be interesting to see the responses you get. I think it often depends on the employer. I am in isolation and I think I will be posting quite a lot as I am finding the social isolation quite difficult and hopefully we can all support each other through these testing times. How are you coping?

Hi Erica. I’m doing okay with isolation.Big house, plenty to do, lots of books to read and my family are all at home except for my eldest son. My real worry is how effective shielding can be for those of us living with key workers. This question is absolutely raised by Ronald’s question too. Think I might start a separate thread to see how others in this situation are coping. In the meantime, I’m also doing loads of online yoga classes…which I recommend to anyone who can access them. There’s tons out there, aimed at all levels. Great for the body and mind. Stay safe x

1 Like

Hi, good idea to start another thread and also great tips for the yoga classes, thanks. I am a pilates girl and I have 3 pilates dvd’s which are good for me as I have osteoporosis as well. As you say how effective can shielding be when you are living with key workers. Try and stay safe and keep posting your fears, thoughts and feelings as we are here to support each other through these challenging times.