What are you looking forward to doing again?

So my white blood cell count and neutrophil levels continue to drop so got to do bloods again and talk to hematologist next week. I need to focus on positives in life. And for me it’s a haircut! How I miss my hairdresser!

What are you looking forward to doing again? Surely I can’t be the only one who craves a good cut and colour!!

6 Likes

Getting back to making music with groups I play with and the associated social side to that, and of course, putting on concerts for the public.

Working back in the office, but probably not full weeks as we’ve proved we can all work remotely…

Attending theatre/concerts, but I suspect we’re still some time away from that.

Sporting events, such as Cycling Sportives, 10k runs

Wife would like for me to visit barber… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good topic Lou, the waiting game is the worst, please let us know how you get on when you talk to your haematologist next week.
For me, I really miss, meeting up with family and friends indoors.
I have had a chop at my own hair.

2 Likes

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, but right now I am finding it hard to look forward to anything much. I am still a bit too concerned about the chance however small of catching the disease from most fun things I would want to do. But it is the simple things like a simple hug that I miss the most. And just being able to go out for cup of tea and chat face to face with a friend. Those things seem a long way off still for me despite the recent encouraging news about the decline in transmission rates. I guess in time I will begin to dare to think about doing fun stuff again!

6 Likes

@Adrian you sound far from negative, you are just reflecting how many of us are feeling. I look forward to seeing a pic of you with a friend enjoying a cuppa. Take care. Lou

3 Likes

@dmquinlan I love the theatre so that’s a good call. My son used to act as a kid. He was in Olivier award winning version of Goodnight Mr Tom and was in To Kill a Mockingbird. I love OpenAir Theatre at Regents Park.

2 Likes

@Lou be sure and get booking tickets as soon as you can! The theatre will need our support when all of this is over. Compared to other countries, the UK has come up very short in supporting this industry.

My wife is a singer / actor. She and almost every one of her colleagues has had work cancelled due to this, with no sign yet of anything starting up. The self employed were badly let down by the government support scheme. Now we read in the news that theatres are making staff redundant, some closing. It’s so sad.

Football and pubs however… :rage:

2 Likes

Like @Adrian I am in no rush to go anywhere. Since 12th March I have only had a spell in hospital, but otherwise not left home. I do miss seeing my children and grandchildren, and having big hugs, but I can live with my wild locks. I have written to audiology today to see if they will send tubing through for me to do my hearing aids as I usually have them done every 6 months, and they are overdue. I am due an optician’s appointment, and was about to have a cap on my tooth fitted just as lockdown happened…I am officially a gap toothed, half blind, almost deaf, wild grey haired hag :joy: :joy: :joy:
@dmquinlan @Lou My daughter’s family had bought me a CBSO gift voucher for my birthday at the beginning of March. It is a real treat for me now as the cost of taxis doubles the price of a concert, but I am looking forward to picking out one when business resumes. I helped at the collections for Bloodwise (now BCUK) at the Birmingham Hippodrome this time last year, and was lucky to meet some of the cast of the Calendar Girls musical.
A relative is affected by the lockdown in parts of Melbourne during the 2nd wave. All residents in the areas affected have to be tested now. I fear similar is on the way for us. Stay safe everyone

2 Likes

Funnily enough, the longer my hair grows (after an initial period dealing with a straggly fringe) the more I like it, so I’m not in any rush to go back. Frankly I’ve been surprised by how good most people look.

4 Likes

Hi @nicegal a warm welcome to our forum, yes, the one thing we all share is new hairstyles. I hope you have related to some of our posts. How have you coped during isolation? Have you got friends and family for support, we are all here to support you? Take care and stay safe.

2 Likes

Well actually I’m having a bit of a medical crisis on top of the blood cancer as I broke my hip two weeks ago. Not clever. I am however getting help on all fronts (all the major supermarkets bar one offered me priority shopping slots, and I shan’t be going there again) and my local council (Bradford) has been excellent).

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about the hip and I hope you are getting the medical help required.

2 Likes

Further to my comment earlier, I have had a reply from audiology. They are sending tubing so I can sort them myself :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Lots of things for me. Dining out, going to the cinema, visiting the coast and travelling abroad. All the things I looked forward to when my treatment was coming to an end.In many ways the mental situation is the same except that ironically I had more physical freedom when I was learning to walk again!

3 Likes

Yes @Pisces56, I am so with you with my eyes. I can’t see properly but can’t get to the optician. And @Franko I so want to go on holiday as it was part of my focus as I worked through being diagnosed last year. I didn’t think anything would top 2019 but it just goes to show you don’t know what’s round the corner. I got my ‘keep distancing’ letter today as well!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @nicegal , and sorry to hear about your hip. My council has been great and so has Tesco… I used to shop in Waitrose but their service has been awful, In general, John Lewis has been atrocious. I haven’t been impressed at all.

2 Likes

Oh, no, breaking your hip really is incapacitating and painful I should think. I am so glad your supermarkets and council have been excellent. I am not good at asking for or accepting help, I don’t know about you? Take it steady and stay safe.

2 Likes

I just want to hug my daughter. I am in no rush to go shopping, or to the pub etc.
I had a walk on the beach - very quiet not like the pictures of Bournemouth today - last weekend and it was fabulous, the beach is my happy place.

4 Likes

I am looking froward to seeing my children and granddaughter without having to have a pane of glass between us!!! I am enjoying my daily walks but am not sure how the next steps will be achieved. It leaves me quite anxious when I see so many people gathering in large groups blatantly flouting their rules with nobody doing anything about it and, that as we get closer to us having a little more freedom, we could find ourselves back inside because the virus has taken off again. We are a cautious bunch of people through necessity but this appears to be out of our control; that we just have to sit and watch and hope that our freedoms do in fact come to us.
After family and when those freedoms do come it’s cinema, theatre, music and restaurants with friends.

3 Likes

@Lababe it’s so hard isn’t it? We can’t control what others do so have to hope it won’t cause us to go backwards. Til then, I will dream of short hair, theatre and some tapas.

3 Likes