What are you looking forward to doing again?

@SP7 my inlaws are in Bournemouth and mentioned how awful it was. Packed beaches and people camping overnight. They went back home - I think the locals have had enough of it. And they were talking about complaining to the council

1 Like

I am looking forward to lots of things. Will be lovely to hug my grandchildren who live locally. As my daughter is expecting in October will be good to be able to see the baby too.

I like many would love a haircut but won’t be rushing there for a while. I would just like to go back to my volunteering role in fundraising at the local hospice and go out for a nice meal. I know many people have been hit financially by Covid but as I have both a state and occupational pension not going anywhere means we are saving so would like to go for a posh lunch somewhere as a real treat. Shopping on the other hand doesn’t interest me.

5 Likes

@Joan I can imagine that you are missing them. I miss seeing my Mum, as she is in Scotland so haven’t been able to spend time with her yet.

I want to do more volunteering at events, I have ran three marathons and love the support you get so keen to help with that. It’s so nice to something back when you know the work and effort people have had to put in to complete their challenges.

3 Likes

thank you so much @Lou for starting this thread, it has been so lovely to read through the things which are important to you all and make you all happy :smiley: But of course, it’s so understandable to also, at the same time, have concerns about the uncertainty of it all. It’s so important you feel comfortable enough to be honest and open about this too.

We look forward to hearing from more of you!

2 Likes

Yes, it is interesting @SuBloodcancerUK and @Lou how I can look forward to something but also have concerns at the same time, for me it is social interactions (at a distance) and what precautions is it reasonable for us to take. I have my masks, gloves, wipes, sprays etc. Any thoughts would be very welcome

3 Likes

My biggest worry is being able to interact with people wearing masks, when my back up is lip reading. I fear being even more isolated, especially as my hearing is deteriorating quite rapidly now.

2 Likes

@Pisces56 Oh that’s so very understandable, especially as you say, if you feel it’s deteriorating. Has there been any opportunity at all to talk this through with the healthcare professional overseeing your hearing care?

2 Likes

My hearing loss was as a result of one of the complications I had during treatment, which was the first after relapse. Whilst devastated at the time, I have had 12 years to get used to and to adapt. I usually see an audiologist every 6 months and get reassessed every couple of years. Last year I was told that I could be assessed for a cochlear implant, but I declined for several reasons. There has been a bit of publicity in the last couple of weeks about how difficult it is for people like me to use zoom rooms etc. People who know me well are very good at adapting their behaviour to include me in social situations, and I always have made sure that anyone I speak to is aware. In quiet places in a 1-1 it is not a problem. It will be a challenge to meet, but I shall meet it head on when the time comes :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Pisces56 it’s so good to hear that you made that informed decision based on what felt right for you, and it’s so clear how proactive you have been in trying to find ways to adapt and support yourself. Do keep us posted on how things go for you @Pisces56, and always remember your forum family are here to support you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m still a bit anxious like many…for me getting my hair cut. My hair dresser is mobile and ironic her partner has a blood cancer . Will be getting my bloods done Monday. Hair cut Tuesday. Then yoga at the gym is my goal in the next few weeks. Take care everyone

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Hmc63. I think we all have to balance what is best for ourselves, and do our own risk assessment. For some it easier than others…those who are older, not working etc. Yesterday was my first proper walk, and I went to Sarehole Mill with my daughter’s family. It was one of the few times my Grandchildren have been able to run around safely for a while, and they really needed it as they always used to cycle and run and spend a lot of time outdoors. I Still am holding back from hair, optician and dental appointments. I hope you are able to relax enough that are able to enjoy your treats.

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63 a welcome to our community forum. I am following my medical teams advice and Blood Cancer UK’s. I think it will still be quite a while before I go back to the gym (although I desperately want to) as I cannot envision how it will be safe and also will I be able to get into classes with fewer participants allowed. What will the new ‘normal’ be I wonder. I am doing Pilates DVD’s at home. Take care and it is natural to be anxious and please let us know how your haircut goes and your adventure to the gym.

Welcome on board @Hmc63 can safely say it felt great to get my haircut. I hope it all goes well on Monday. Mobile is good option as I found going into town the most stressful part: there are too many people not social distancing and many not wearing masks. I gave up my gym membership as found I was doing just as well online at home and could fit it around me, so didn’t have to do anything at a set time.

1 Like

Hi @Lou, that is interesting to hear what you say about your gym membership. My membership is frozen till the 1st October so I do not have to decide now but I am coming round to your thinking. I have been doing a Pilates DVD every day whilst shielding and you are so right I can do it whenever I want to, the TV screen is a brilliant size, I can rewind to redo an exercise, I can pause it while I empty the washing machine etc. Mind you I do think it is important to have a good Pilates grounding first and get good quality Pilates DVD’s. I have just treated myself and now am the proud owner of 8 Pilates DVD’s and none of them is easy and I just rotate them. It would be difficult to keep safe at the gym and with smaller class sizes would I get booked in. Enjoy your online classes.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. I’m.looking forward to just having a sense of being a bit normal …what ever that is. I’m lucky that I’ve got a garden and a young dog to keep me entertained… ive also got my elderly mum who lives with me and is shielding.
My biggest surprise was my family as haven’t heard anything from them for 3 months . Yet friends and neighbours have been brilliant
I keep.my focus on the today and practice alot of mindfullness
Even went and filled up the car with petrol …paying at the pump. Gloves and mask at the ready…

2 Likes

Oh @Hmc63, a young dog and a garden sound good to me. Yes, aren’t the mindfulness techniques useful ,although I am not good at meditation. How has lockdown been for you and your mum?

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63 and welcome. How did the haircut go? I had mine done today and it has made me feel a lot better! Felt quite safe as well. Have you managed to get to the gym yet? Just wondering what that experience was like.

2 Likes

I’m not that bothered about getting my hair cut as it now blows in the wind.
However, I would really like to have the energy to do more as I get tired so quickly.
I’m looking forward to Spring and hopefully being able to get into the garden to potter around having spent the winter months knitting and crocheting.
Take care and stay safe everyone x

1 Like

Having a haircut is one of those luxuries denied to me with my fashionable shiny head but I’m really looking forward to dining out again and going on holiday when we’re allowed.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for the sunshine as well @Cassie-1973. I really think it will make me feel a little better!

1 Like