A difficult time of year

I am all to aware that this time of year can be very difficult many, for so many reasons, therefore I thought I would I would create a space where people can share whatever they need to, whenever you need to.
If you would like to speak to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is there for you on 0808 2080 888 (opening hours apply).
The Samaritans helpline is also there for you on 116 123.

11 Likes

That’s such a nice idea @Erica :heart:

2 Likes

Definitely a much needed space. I have zero enthusiasm for Christmas this year having lost my dad - would prefer it not to be happening. And son broke his leg over the weekend to add to already heightened emotions. Good to have a space to say “aaagh”. Thanks @Erica

4 Likes

This is so empathetic of you, @Erica, thank you. It really can be a difficult time of year for many people, regardless of cancer, and I personally hate how materialistic it becomes leading up to the end of December—why are christmas products being advertised and sold from August onwards?! It has seemed to me that the cheer and goodwill that are historically expected of us at this time of year don’t quite match the reality of living and have been replaced by gross capitalism. Anyway, I’ll be over here grumbling to myself until boxing day has passed!

4 Likes

Sounds like a tough time @judesadventures :heart:
Can you make it a quiet, no pressure Christmas or is that impossible?

2 Likes

Oh I really feel for you as you have been pulled in all directions for so long. @judesadventures your thoughts and feelings are entitled to be all over the place.
Yes, the next few weeks will happen, but as I said recently it does not have to be perfect, 7 out of 10 is good enough.
The most important thing is that you take some ‘you’ special relaxing time.
xxxxx

2 Likes

Perhaps not my place to suggest it @judesadventures, but how does it feel to consider not doing christmas this year? I stopped celebrating it many years ago for many reasons and have never really looked back! So much less stress, so much less expense, and my friends, family and now husband all support me in not going through the motions of ‘doing Christmas’ when it is personally so triggering of all sorts of traumatic stuff that I will never fully get over. So I just don’t engage in it! Imagine spending all that time, effort and care on yourself instead…

2 Likes

Oh @Duncan I know what you mean about triggering all sorts of traumatic stuff.
I have that problem with my birthday which is early in the new year.
I refuse to actually take down the decorations on that day.
My trigger was over 50 yrs ago, but it is still there.
I am imagining spending all that time, effort and care on myself, trouble is I have this skill of filling up any available time!!!
I admire you stopping celebrating and looking after your own needs.

2 Likes

Thank you @Erica, I’m sorry to hear you have a similar problem but with your birthday. I’ve had to train myself to do stuff to celebrate mine or else it would go the way of christmas as well! Pity we can’t celebrate ourselves fully even on our birthdays, right?!

2 Likes