Also freaking out

Continuing the discussion from Newly diagnosed with MGUS:

Hi.
In the same boat.x
I saw a letter online last night from my neurology consultant to my gp saying I was being referred to haematology as blood results are entirely consistent with lgG kappa monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS).
Like you I’m freaking out…is he saying I have blood cancer or not?

2 Likes

Hi @NB58 I will give you a link to the Blood Cancer UK information about monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) hopefully it should answer your immediate questions.
MGUS – monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance | Blood Cancer UK
I think seeing correspondence on line is a mixed blessing and I am not surprised that you are freaking out.
Perhaps just give yourself time, you have probably had a a great shock.
Perhaps write down all your fears, questions and practicalities ready for your haematology department,
Be ever so kind to yourself and really look after yourself and please do keep posting

2 Likes

Hi @NB58 welcome to the forum please try not to freak out ,it is good that you are being reffered to see the Haematologist as a paraprotein IgG kappa has been found in your blood, and you can be monitored depending on your level and health.

I have IgG Kappa which was found in a screening from the Neurology consultant 4 years ago low level then I was diagnosed 3 years ago.

monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) is a precursor to Myeloma and not cancer , it is a plasma dyscrasia ,(disorder)some people go on to develop Myeloma,some people never , but you will have regular blood tests to make sure.Each person is different .

It sure is worrying at first to get that diagnosis .
I have posted a link to
Www.Myeloma.org.uk where you will find lots of useful information on monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) and @Erica has given you the BCUK information.
Wishing you well on your journey
Bannanacake

4 Likes