I have been diagnosed with MGUS

I’ve just been diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) yesterday. I had a lump on my neck, which turned out to be a cyst. I also got a blood test which found a IgM kappa monoclonal band, although apparently very faint.

Serum paraprotein level < 2.4 g/l (so none detectable?)

Serum kappa:lambda light chain ratio 1.62 ratio [0.26 - 1.65]

Serum kappa light chain level 21.4 mg/L [3.3 - 19.4] - Outside reference range

Serum lambda light chain level 13.2 mg/L [5.7 - 26.3]

The rest of my blood values seem more or less normal. So what do people think?

If I hadn’t gone to see my GP about the lump, I would never have found out about this abnormal blood. Could it possibly be transient, precipitated by something like anxiety and stress over the lump?

4 Likes

Oh @IanW it sounds to me that you must be in complete shock, but I am so glad that you have posted on our forum.
All the questions you have asked are really for your GP or next hospital appointment. as they know your whole medical history and we are not medically trained.
Now is the time perhaps that gives you the opportunity to write all your fears, questions and practicalities down for that appointment.
This is the link for monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) on the Blood Cancer UK website

You have entered a world that speaks medical speak and there is a lot of not knowing and waiting which I find so difficult.
The main thing you can do now is really look after yourself and please do keep posting on here.

5 Likes

Hello @IanW
Welcome to the Forum.
There are many people using the Forum that have monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS), and most will tell you their diagnosis was found by accident too.
Most often people’s GP will monitor and review blood tests, and usually will only refer to a Haematologist if the blood counts change (they have guidance on this from their local Haematology colleagues), this can be 3 monthly at first, then 6 monthly and then yearly. Make sure you know how often you should be having blood tests.
A diagnosis of monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) can be anxiety provoking for some people, so please do get in touch with our support line, if you ever want to talk things through: 0808 2080 888.
Take care, Heidi.

4 Likes