Atrial Fibrillation with 1st chemo

Has anyone else experienced atrial fibrillation ( irregular/fast heart rate) following their 1st R-CHOP ? I spent 2 nights in hospital and am now on beta blockers. It started after my chemotherapy session finished and I was vomiting for 12+ hours and went to A&E . In the R-CHOP leaflet it said ’ may feel nauseous ’ … what an understatement!! I have had a heart scan and am waiting to see what the Dr thinks is the best course of action. My next chemo is supposed to be next week. As an aside my lump was in my tonsil/ neck and it disappeared after 2 hours of chemo.

1 Like

Hi, I have not had any treatment, I was diagnosed with CLL in 2003 and I have been on watch and wait since then, I am a very lucky girl. In 2009 I was diagnosed with Super Ventricular Ectopics (Irregular Heart Beat). I was tested with a 24hr heart meter. I have been on tablets ever since and I only feel it occasionally. I would always tell all your different medical people your diagnosis’s symptoms and treatments to ensure they all know what is going on with you, as I have found one department might not know what is happening in another. It sounds scary times for you, please let us know what is going on with you.

1 Like

Hi, I have not had any treatment, I was diagnosed with CLL in 2003 and I have been on watch and wait since then, I am a very lucky girl. In 2009 I was diagnosed with Super Ventricular Ectopics (Irregular Heart Beat). I was tested with a 24hr heart meter. I have been on tablets ever since and I only feel it occasionally. I would always tell all your different medical people your diagnosis’s symptoms and treatments to ensure they all know what is going on with you, as I have found one department might not know what is happening in another. It sounds scary times for you, please let us know what is going on with you.

1 Like

Hi Erica , yes I am keeping detailed notes as I was admitted to a different hospital ( Good Hope) to the one that’s dealing with my lymphoma QE Birmingham and even though they are part of the same Trust they can’t access each other’s records. I imagine watch and wait must take its toll on you. Best wishes Katherine

2 Likes

Hi Katherine, yes, watch and wait does take it’s emotional toll, but don’t forget all of us who are being monitored in any way are on a form of watch and wait. please let us know how you are getting on.

1 Like

Hi Katherine @wabbly I was treated at New Cross, Wolverhampton, but also had PET scans at QE, Stem cell harvest at Russells Hall, and SCT at Heartlands and found that there was very good consultation between the hospitals. I finished treatment 9 years ago, but because of the way my lymphoma presented I have heart problems, for which I take medication (high blood pressure and high pulse rate) After a visit to A&E last year they gave me a copy of my ‘normal’ ECG in case I call out emergency services again. The one paramedic kept going to the ambulance and i reckon he was using Dr Google for answers to why my heart was beating as it was. I hope that the medics are able to sort you out

2 Likes

Hello Pisces56

Thank you for your email and the information in it. I am on beta blockers during chemotherapy and perhaps I will have to stay on them I am not sure. I had my second chemotherapy yesterday. It was a long day and I could only tolerate 50% of the drugs, so next time I am have it split over two days . I don’t mind , I just don’t want to go into AF again or but any unnecessary strain on my heart .Today is a rest day while I wait for the chills and flu symptoms to turn up ! Take care Katherine

2 Likes

Hi Katherine
I hope you are snuggled up with a warm blanket and plenty of fluids. My chemo was always being adjusted due to the effect on heart and lungs, so I think you are wise accepting that yours will need to be spread over a longer period. The first time I had my chemo I was given a steroid which i was told might give me a “When Harry met Sally” moment (as in the dining scene). Oh boy, I only nearly passed out, probably with the effort of not shouting out “Oh! Oh! Oh!” so that one had to be given at half the normal speed afterwards. We had a good laugh about it afterwards, and I hope it has given you a smile to start the weekend. Take care of yourself, Louise

2 Likes

An update: I thought it was important to provide an update. So, I raised my concerns about having R-CHOP so concentrated that my heart went into AF. I explained to my doctor that I had concerns and wanted to have the drugs at a lower concentration The doctor has agreed and I had the third chemo just before Christmas over 2 days. I have CHOP for 5 hours on day 1 and Rituximab for 4 hours only on day 2. It is inconvenient to spend two days at the hospital but I am concerned about my heart and what R-CHOP did to it. Apparently I will only find out if there is any latent damage to my heart in 6 to 12 months. I am on beta blockers and will stay on them until chemo is over. I had the ‘usual’ side effects and am resigned to the fact that I" lose" about 7 to 10 days post each chemo with fatigue, chills, mouth pain, back pain, nausea , acid reflux and so on and so on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Katherine, I have just posted a comment on your intro. I am pleased that you were able to raise your concerns with your consultant. There is no doubt that cancer treatment takes a huge chunk out of our lives, and life suddenly revolves around hospital visits and how we feel each day. I hope you still managed to enjoy Christmas and wish you a healthier new year

3 Likes

Hi @wabbly, thank you so much for updating us on your situation. I’m so pleased you’ve been able to have an open conversation with your doctor about how you are feeling and the concerns you had about your treatment regime.

Two days worth of chemo sessions in hospital sounds really tough and I’m so sorry you’re having to manage all those side effects too - is there anything we can do as a community to make your next session any easier for you?

Best wishes and I hope you’re able to celebrate the start of the new year with friends and family.
Kate

2 Likes