Blood tests

Hi just got paper work for bloods used to be full blood count this time it’s full blood count/Film/ vrate can anyone help me with what they are all for please

2 Likes

Hi Christine, no idea, however I have known NHS guidance to change over the years.
Perhaps a question to ask when the results come back and you can ask the person who ordered them.
Please do let us know the answer and look after yourself.

1 Like

Thanks I will let you know I think it is because my last full blood count came back with high hemaglobin I have to have a venesection which I haven’t had to have since I was diagnosed with Essential thrombocythemia (ET) 2 years ago.

2 Likes

Hi @Christine. Please let us know how you get on.
Blood test forms are a completely different language to me. I only take note if anything is abnormal.
Take good care of yourself and keep us updated x

1 Like

Hi @Christine
The ‘Film’ is a Blood Film request which means a smear of blood made on a microscope slide that is subsequently fixed and stained for examination. The haematologist can then closer assess the make up and the number of cells. I expect it is so look at your red bloods cells if they are a bit higher that usual.
Is the other test Urate? If so, it measures the uric acid levels in the blood.
I hope this is helpful? Do call us if you do need to talk anything through: Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK
Kind regards
Gemma

2 Likes

Thank you for the. My hemaglobin had gone up on my last test. I’m having a pint of blood taken on Tuesday I think it’s called a venesection and had an extra hydracarbamide a week. The consultant said hopefully this will stabilise things.

3 Likes