Coronavirus Advice

Some more information from the UK government on the most vulnerable people.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

The key new thing in this document is the need to within the home isolate yourself and reduce dramatically your contact with other family members. Eg not sleeping in the same bed etc. I guess if your family member was self isolating too then that would be less of an issue.

It seems to me that we are still wise to ask our families to look at ways they can reduce their risk and exposure eg home working etc. But if they have to go out we should essentially treat them as we would if we knew they had it. This is a big change. The ones you love are now seen as possibly contaminated by a cruel enemy and therefore to be shunned or avoided.

At the moment I’ve got family members with flu like symptoms so I’m literally spending most of my time in my bedroom.

Rather concerning that the new advice is literally not to leave the house when before they were saying you could do walks etc. Of course it’s difficult to 100% guarantee that you will be more than Six feet away from other people when outside at all times. I would want a bit more clarification on this point.

And I must say I felt quite nervous in the forest today as other people were around (but over six feet away). It’s essentially a form of enprisonment. And to suddenly come out and see people was actually scary and we’ve not been doing it long. We will I think find re integration difficult. Suddenly even my own family are biohazards. They are potential sources of death to me. To be avoided. Kept at a distance. Spoken to either on the phone or from a doorway so I’m not anywhere near six feet to (and remember in a room the droplets May circulate hence the need for your own safe space and indoors I’m not sure six feet is enough even with good ventilation).

The idea of ideally having your own bathroom is to avoid constantly worrying about clean surfaces etc etc etc. This is not going to be easy. However we do it.

Clearly the easiest and safest for the vulnerable person is if the whole household can self isolate. But that’s a huge ask and this document seems to assume it will be impossible for most.

I have a district nurse coming to take my blood on Monday so I don’t have to go to a clinic. My Gp described me as someone who is “currently housebound for clinical reasons”.

Exercise is a huge issue too as we will lose a LOT of muscle mass very quickly. I’m going to have to start an exercise program in my bedroom.

Present government advice is for blood cancer patients to self isolate for 12 weeks!!
This just not possible for those of us on chemotherapy.
I’m treated with Azacitidine for 5 days in every 28 with a pre chemo blood test the week before this.
I have the b/t this coming Thursday and a weeks chemotherapy starting Monday week.
I’ve been in contact with the Senior Chemotherapy Matron to ask if there are any special measures being introduced.
I have been advised that they are stopping friends and relatives coming to the clinic with cancer patients. A very good precaution as sometimes it’s standing room only in the waiting room.
The clinic is not large either.
Visiting the hospital now is a huge risk for all of us as there are other clinics for all sorts of treatment which means many others attending the hospital at the same time as cancer patients.
Anthony

1 Like

Hi
The idea is to self isolate completely apart from the treatment sessions. Do you usually use hospital transport? If you aren’t able to be driven by someone who’s also taking stringent social distancing (and even then I’d suggest it is worth perhaps sitting next to an open window in the Back of the car on the passengers side to minimise risk if breathing droplets) then I’d definitely ask if you can have an exclusive use hospital transport (if you are in the uk. In other countries not sure what they’d call it).

Also I’m not Having chemo but only recently stopped taking GCSF so my next blood test is more important than just standard (to check my neutrophils haven’t gone low again). So my GP organised for a district nurse to come and take blood from me. She described me as “housebound for clinical reasons” in her referral. That’s something you could discuss with the team as to whether that’s suitable or feasible.

1 Like

Hi Blackhat, @Pisces56, is poorly at the moment, not directly blood cancer, and she asked me to pass on her regards to you. Take care.

I’m sorry to hear that Erica thanks for telling me.
Hope she gets better soon, please pass on my best wishes for an early recovery
Anthony

1 Like

Hi Adrian,
I’ve a car so transport isn’t a problem.
I have peripheral vascular disease and to prevent it getting worse I have to walk as much as I can.
Hard work in my flat as I’ve only a straight run of approximately 20’ back and forth, I’ve also developed plantar fasciitis which is hurts badly when I walk.
I shall carry on as calmly as I can.
I think you must agree that this virus crisis has revealed the worst in large numbers of the population.
Our leader appears to be more concerned in his political ambitions than what’s best for the population.
Tump said recently “ more people have died than they had before” Who died twice??
Regards
Anthony

1 Like

Hi Antony, yes, I will pass on your best wishes, thanks it will mean a lot to her. We all do the best we can to stay safe but perhaps I fear hospital appointments most of all. I had a telephone appointment about the possible return of skin cancer on my head, it worked well. I might be needing to borrow a hat off you soon !! I am very fed up with the continual media coverage and wonder what TV programmes we will have left to watch soon. Take lots of care, stay safe.

@Blackhatand @Adrian I love the Trump quote. I have to say in our block of 11 flats 3 people and our gardener have offered their help to us.

Here is Boris and the scientists telling us about the special social distancing for the most vulnerable group (us).

Dear Erica,
It’s a great pity I can’t copy you the email I’ve just sent to Rosie Duffield my labour MP castigating the insipid and ineffectual advice we are getting from Bumbling Boris and his so called experts.
We need draconian action immediately to prevent panic buying and ugly scenes at supermarkets.
People are ignoring the advice about social distancing as seen on the social media today.
It’s no good politely asking folk to do what’s required they have to be forced to.
If no direct action is taken immediately, the next few days will result in many more deaths and cases of infection.
I was born in 1944 and can clearly remember going shopping with my mother armed with her ration book.
Her generation endured the blitz and shortages even when the war ended but they endured with fortitude.
The present generation belong to a me, me, class wanting everything immediately, acting with no consideration to anyone else. My friend witnessed a fight outside Asda today!!
There is enough food for all if everyone just bought what they needed.
They do this in other parts of Europe why can’t we act in a civilised manner.
I also asked why our insipid opposition weren’t doing anything to force the issue.
They are all too busy stabbing each other in the back, that’s why.
You can tell I’m angry?
The rich and powerful who run our country don’t give a toss about ordinary people, they certainly won’t go without.
There was a front page on the Daily Star in the past week showing a pallet of toilet rolls delivered to no 10.
Best wishes
Anthony

Oh, Anthony, you did make me laugh at a pallet of toilet rolls being delivered to No. 10, you’ve made my day. I think it is as important to vent anger as it is to have a good old belly laugh.

The UK Goverment’s text advice.

Just got this text. I’m sure you should all if you live in the UK get a copy too (if your GP computer to coding system worked). Unfortunately we can’t by replying “stop” cause this whole crisis to go away and fast forward to 2021.

It really is a case of making short term painful sacrifices for long term gain. We are not being asked to go to war. Just stay in our bedrooms.

Keep safe everyone.

And to those who aren’t worried I say you should be. But to those who are worried I say to catch us first covid19 has to find us. So let’s just do our best to stay hidden, and watch Netflix or something.

Whilst we are at higher risk if the bug does somehow sneak though our defences its not the case that we have no immunity just poor immunity. I’ve not seen any data that would deny the idea that the vast MAJORITY of any group of patients (no matter how high the risk) would indeed recover from this condition.

If anyone is going stir crazy video phone based chat can be very helpful. When you get over the initial awkwardness it is much more connecting than a phone call.

————-

NHS Coronavirus Service: We have identified that you’re someone at risk of severe illness if you catch Coronavirus. Please remain at home for a minimum of 12 weeks. Home is the safest place for you. Staying in helps you stay well and that will help the NHS too. You can open a window but do not leave your home, and stay 3 steps away from others indoors. Wash your hands more often, for at least 20 seconds.

Read more advice about staying safe at home.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable-guidance

We will send you more messages with information.

To opt out reply STOP

——

Photo of me taking some air!

1 Like

No text or letter yet but I suspect my turn will come, although given how efficient my local hospital were in my review appointments ie none,I could well be missed off the list and presuming to carry on but with the minimum of social contact! Deeply worrying time for all of us and it’s good that we can talk to each other on here.

1 Like

Thanks Adrian and it is great to put a face to a name and see your lovely smile. We live in a flat and I will have to stand on a step ladder to try and get my head out of the window, pretty dangerous !!.

Yes, @Franko, @Blackhat and @Adrian we are all here for the long haul so I will definitely need the support of you all during this isolation period and it is good to know you are all there and we can all be there for each other to rant or share our anxieties. Stay safe all.

Here is Boris announcement. Everyone is mostly meant to stay home now too. He says that even those who are not at high risk MUST only leave home if:

• Shopping (please use delivery if you can)
  • One form of exercise a day
  • Any medical need
  • Travelling to and from work - only when necessary

This obviously doesn’t replace the advice to those of us with blood cancer not to leave home for any reason.

1 Like

Dear All,
Latest news as many of you have heard
TOTAL LOCKDOWN
Draconian measures at last, should have been implemented some time ago.
Hopefully the post war generations will now behave in a more civilised manner.
This crisis has shown us the worst behaviour from some, not all I’m glad to say.
We are now on a war footing and must all support each other. All of us, not just cancer patients and the elderly are at risk.
The enemy is hidden but deadly, and sadly some people will succumb to the virus.
We can all play our part. It’s going to be difficult times ahead and the NHS for all its many faults will no doubt work to their utmost to ensure our survival.
All at the front line in hospitals and clinics deserve medals for their stirling efforts on behalf of the public.
Together we will win this war.

On a more humorous note I emailed Boris at number 10 last week suggesting what he has just announced.
I’m glad he took my email to heart. :clown_face::clown_face:

1 Like

Hi Franko, It certainly is such a worrying time but I hope you’re doing OK and I’m glad you know that you can talk to others and get support on here. I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling like your hospital’s communication isn’t as efficient as it could be. As you’ll know, it’s really important to feel confident in your hospital and health care team. I’d suggest that even if you don’t receive this text or letter about being high risk, follow the guidelines of who is high risk and if you have any questions at all and/or need more clarity around what category you’re in and what steps to take, give your healthcare team a call to chat things through.
Take good care

1 Like

Hi Antony, thanks for being the voice advising Boris !!!

I’ve had a couple of texts now but the promised support mechanisms for ensuring that we get food and medical supplies don’t exist. They’ve passed the buck to friends and family.

1 Like