Coronavirus Advice

I have been on redial to Sainsburys now for a day and a half and it is just continually engaged.

Me too, and I bet there are people who are saying they are elderly/vulnerable just to get a slot. I clicked on the link from the text yesterday about food and medicine deliveries and if you click you have a family member that’s it, no offer of support. Boris was telling us to use deliveries but it is impossible :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Dear Erica,
I’m delusional thinking that Boris would take notice of any communication from a member of the public.
Hopefully things will calm down now all of the public realise that the threat affects them all not just the elderly and sick. Obviously there will be quite a few that think new rules don’t apply to them, that’s always been the way.
All of the cancer patients on this forum suffer from various degrees of stress and panic, especially those who live alone, as I do.
My degree of MDS has a very poor prognosis and I’m very much aware that it will deteriorate to AML and my death.
I consider myself extremely lucky that Azacitidine has been hold me steady for 68 months of cycles, cycle 69 starts next week providing Thursday pre chemo b/t is satisfactory.
I feel surprisingly calm this morning about the new measures in place, I’ve been stressed since my diagnosis in November 2014.
An analogy came to mind.
Imagine your stress as a full bucket and trying to pour more in, impossible. As my mind seems to be full of stress anyway there’s no room for anymore.
Like work, smoking etc and any repetitive action it can become an addictive.
I now think of myself as a stress addict!!

On a different note, my ex wife who I had held a grudge against and blocked any calls for ages, I phoned her last night and apologised for my obnoxious behaviour, we spoke for an hour and all is now well again👍🏻
I’ve known her for 45years and I still love her and I value her friendship even though we divorced some years ago.
My 3 girls are really pleased about it too…
Best wishes and good luck to you all
Anthony

1 Like

Yes I couldn’t even register with an online shop let alone arrange a delivery. The message from the NHS basically said you need to use friends and family to deliver things to you because you’re on your own. My last visit to Sainsburys all I could buy was tinned fish, Ferror Rocher and a bottle of brandy which isn’t exactly a balanced diet… yes Blackhat we’re all very stressed right now. Our challenges were already great and now we’ve had this extra layer of worry added. Great that you patched things up with your ex wife. At least some good came out of all of this.

1 Like

Hey Franco,
I’m going to use local shops when I can now.
Less crowded. Not a huge variety, but I don’t bulk buy anyway.
Just enough food for the week is enough for me.
Azacitidine has robbed me of my sense of taste anyway, I can always fill up on the packages :clown_face::clown_face:
Anthony

1 Like

Do try the phoning Sainsburys thing. If you already have an account with them and a nectar card and are over 70 you may have been automatically added to their vulnerable person list. I managed to get a delivery slot for tomorrow this morning just before 8am as I got added to the list yesterday. Just mention blood cancer rather than your specific diagnosis as they are not medical people. Also there are groups of volunteers springing up (check Facebook). I know it is embarrassing to have to ask for help (I have reluctantly done so and will be glad not to have to now Sainsburys have stepped up). I am sure the other supermarkets will do something similar.

Regarding the messages from the NHS. Some UK patients have not yet received a letter or text. But I would encourage you not to wait to receive your text. It is possible a computer error might mean you don’t get it. But these are going out to EVERYONE with blood cancer in the UK no matter what the stage. Watch and wait, treated with Chemo or other drugs, and post treatment no matter how long ago. Have heard from other patients with CLL at each stage who have got them. No computer system is perfect so please don’t think that if you haven’t got it that it doest apply to you.

Here are the texts (three so far). If you have blood cancer please just act as if you had received them, you can always confirm with your GP at some point if perhaps they dont have the correct mobile number for you

You can and should also register here ticking that you have received a letter (I received a text but ticked yes to the letter): https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

Right now I do not have any problems as I am registered with Sainsburys vulnerable person list but I suspect that these lists will be shared with the supermarkets at some point to confirm that people are genuine so for that reason I also ticked that “no” I do not have anyone who can get me food as my family are also self isolating to shield me (this is a grey area with the choice it seems to either all self isolate together or only the vulnerable person fully isolate but then they have to isolate within their house as below:

NHS Coronavirus Service: We have identified that you’re someone at risk of severe illness if you catch Coronavirus. Please remain at home for a minimum of 12 weeks. Home is the safest place for you. Staying in helps you stay well and that will help the NHS too. You can open a window but do not leave your home, and stay 3 steps away from others indoors. Wash your hands more often, for at least 20 seconds.

Read more advice about staying safe at home.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable-guidance

————-

NHS Coronavirus Service: Do you know how you will get your medicines while you are staying in your home? You can order repeat prescriptions online via the NHS app or your GP’s online services.

Read more information about online services

Please ask your family, friends or neighbours to pick up your prescriptions from a pharmacy. Just remind them to leave the items outside your door.

The NHS is still here for you - you will still get the care you need, but the way you receive it might change. More will happen over the phone and internet.

——————

NHS Coronavirus Service: Do you live with others? This advice will keep you safer from the virus:

• Sleep separately if you can

• Stay 3 steps away from others at home. Keep away from children

• Only essential carers should visit

• Wash your hands more often for 20 seconds and always before eating. Moisturise if your skin gets dry

• Eat separately, using your own cutlery, dishcloths and towels

• Clean and wipe down surfaces in the kitchen, bathroom and door handles before use

• If you can, use separate bathrooms. If you share a bathroom, use it first and clean between uses

2 Likes

Hi Antony, I like your bucket analogy and I think it is very true, do we need a hole in our buckets?
Yes, I think my mind often just needs something to stress about, The positive from my diagnosis is that I have got to identify my emotions better. I was brought up that anger was bad and having a silent smile on my face good.
Wow, what a big phone call to make and such a positive outcome and a extra bonus that your 3 girls were pleased too. Perhaps it has also made me realise what is really important to me, they say the best things in life are free. Stay safe, I know I am going to need support from everyone on this site over the coming weeks.

Hi @Erica - if you enjoy quotes, here is another cracker. Sorry it is about football, as I appreciate not everyone is as crazy about the game as me, but non-football fans will understand. Anyway, one of the TV pundits was asked his opinion about playing matches behind close doors due to covid-19. His sharp response was (and he was not joking) “I don’t think the fans will appreciate going to football grounds to watch matches behind closed doors”. Bless.

1 Like

Hi Adrian, really appreciate you sending this as I was wondering when I would receive this (or the letter), Will have a look shortly. Now going to cheer myself up by watching Holby (just to take my mind of hospitals and illness for a bit)

2 Likes

I ordered a click and collect last week but now extremely reluctant to collect myself,(and obviously it is against the advice) so will probably ask a friend. And as it is not fair to keep asking a friend I also ticked ‘no’ to the question do I have someone able to collect (Besides, I do not know whether they will be able to). I thought very carefully about this as I do not want to be a drain on resources, then I quickly realised the worst drain I can be is if I end up in a hospital bed. Of course if I can arrange future supermarket deliveries it is possible to update the info. Thanks again Adrian, you are a like a one person information hotline! Ah well back to Holby (one of the characters looks like he is having a breakdown, know how he feels!)

2 Likes

I am just sharing what I read myself and what helps me. Sainsburys is definitely worth pursuing. Register, get a nectar card, and call the number I share and you will have PLENTY of slots. They gave released some more this evening to the vulnerable. Other supermarkets will catch up I am sure but Sainsburys seem to be leading the way in prioritising.

1 Like

I love the footie quote, how much are those TV pundits paid? You are ‘talking’ to a Gunner Fan here, will you talk to me again now you know my guilty secret I wonder. My son’s Uncle lived in Highbury and was a great fan and we all caught the bug. Perhaps it is a good thing the premiership is halted, not a good season so far for us, I want to shake them and ask them how much they really want it. I have not resorted to Holby yet, says me who is about to watch Hospital on catch up. You can tell the isolation is getting to me already, I am rambling. Hey ho.

Fabulous Erica, definitely going to forgive you for being an Arsenal fan!. My secret is I am a fan of the mighty Gers, (So I would only have not forgiven you if you had been a Celtic fan. No, I would even have forgiven you for that ! Now that is the ultimate level of forgiveness. Went to see their matches as a ‘wee boy’ and the ultimate memory is when they beat Bayern Munich on way to winning European CWC. Bayern contained most of the team that won the World Cup 2 years later. I should have warned you, there are 2 dangerous things to start talking me to about 1) Football 2) Running, I am very dangerous at parties as I have been known to talk non stop about these for around 3 hours, though to be fair by the time I look up a lot of people will have fallen asleep. Love that you share my passion for the beautiful game (Its OK, I am sure nobody noticed us chatting about this - it is great to think about these nice things in difficult times! Enjoy the Hospital programme, might watch it also

1 Like

by the way, I once had a summer job which included taking visitors on a tour round…Highbury. I can also agree about a bad season (or in our case good turned bad :smiley: ) Think the covid-19 is also having an affect on me, I have noticed I have been having problems completing paranthesis (Did you notice that?

1 Like

Sure, but the Sainsbury tip alone is worth its weight in gold (or the equivalent, a toilet roll)

2 Likes

Alas they have paused new registrations due to exceptional demand. A lot of people could not get through on the phone apparently - as you say, hopefully other supermarkets will follow suit, It is not a big problem for us, however, I feel sorry for the ones struggling at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this info Adrian I think others will find this really helpful!

1 Like

If anyone’s struggling for fruit n veg

Morning! Can everyone spread this message within their groups- For anyone who is struggling with finding fresh produce — the new Covent Garden market is 75% down in sales. fresh fruit and veg need to be sold so they’re going to start selling boxes to people rather than companies. If you go on NewCoventGardenmarket.com you can sign up for home delivery veg and fruit boxes. They can deliver milk, bread etc. too This is available to everyone whether “vulnerable” or not

In addition do persist with trying to get on Sainsburys vulnerable person list. Many are succeeding and then slots. Appear at 8 am the following morning. Call 0800 052 5500 until you get through. Tell them you have a blood cancer rather than listing the specific diagnosis.

And for good measure please do register yourself at https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable state you had a letter even if you got a text instead. And tell them you don’t have someone you can rely on to get food for you as you don’t if you don’t want a family member fighting the crowds and risking infection. And any volunteer is not guaranteed to help in the future. So this way I believe the government will share that list with the supermarkets. And other companies will have their own vulnerable person lists when they have completed a way of doing so.

3 Likes

Hi Adrian, you certainly are the font of all knowledge and you have provided a new number for Sainsburys, I will certainly persist.

Hi @Adrian, Oh, you are a star, I had to sit in the phone queue for Sainsburys for 20 mins, (have you ever tried to peel sprouts with a phone jammed between ear and shoulder) but I got through only to be told I had already been identified as vulnerable earlier this morning, oh, I did laugh or is it hysteria !!!

2 Likes