Covid vaccination for 16 or over family members

I have only just found out that children 16 or over can have the covid vaccine if they live with someone classed as extremely clinically vulnerable. Surgeries were sent this info at the end of March and should contact anyone ECV to arrange for vaccinations. I didn’t have any notification from my surgery and my surgery call handlers know nothing about this and directed me to the 119 service. 119 very helpful and confirmed this is correct but has to be GP arranged as my son is under 18. I am waiting for a call back from a doctor at the surgery… My son has been very worried about passing something onto me over the last few months and hopefully this will lessen the worry for both of us going forward. Apologies if everyone knows but if your surgery is anything like mine you may not be aware!

5 Likes

Hi @Lyn99, this must have been very stressful and another issue that you could do without having to sort out.
It must be stressful for your son too.
I have heard of others having similar issues.
I hope the call back from your doctor and I have found sometimes I have to state the facts that I have found out and be persistent.
If you would like to talk to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (Mondays: 10am-7pm, Tuesdays-Fridays: 10am-4pm, Saturday, Sundays and Bank Holidays: 10am-1pm) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
Please let us know how you get on and I hope others will share their experiences and learn from yours.
Take care both of you.

1 Like

Hi @Lyn99, I think information sharing varies within surgeries but it’s very frustrating when your surgery is one of the ones not as forth coming.
I’m really glad you have this info now and that it gets over to people on this forum who may not have known.
I hope you are well? X

1 Like

Hi Lyn
I have had the same rather unhelpful behaviour from my doctors’ surgery throughout the pandemic - constantly passing the buck and saying it was nothing to do with them when clearly the guidelines said GP’s had the authority to act. Eventually whenever I needed them to act I would email them the Government advice and only then would they do something.
I’m glad you were proactive - sometimes it is the only way - and I hope you manage to get your son vaccinated soon. My son sounds just like yours, worrying he would pass something on to me and he was over the moon when finally he got the call to say he could have the first jab, after I nagged the surgery to do something about it!

1 Like

Hi @Jellybean129 and welcome
to the group. It’s great that we had that government guidance and that it could be used to get you the care you needed. However, very frustrating!
You do have to build some resilience don’t you and be willing to fight your corner.
Great your son has had his jab!!
How have you been keeping?

1 Like

Hi @Jellybean129 a great big welcome to our forum.
Life and getting rights are a battle sometimes.
We are lucky to have government guidelines and guidance from Blood Cancer UK, especially through Covid times.
If you would like to talk to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (Mondays: 10am-7pm, Tuesdays-Fridays: 10am-4pm, Saturday, Sundays and Bank Holidays: 10am-1pm) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
I am glad, at last, your son has had his first vaccine, it must have been worrying and stressful for both of you.
I look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Hi all,
A quick update, things didn’t go quite as smoothly as hoped.
No Doctor call and a further frustrating and unhelpful call to the surgery. I found a complaint to PALS prompted a booking for my sons vaccine in the morning and a very nice chat and sincere apology from the practice Head of Nursing who is now contacting all CEV patients with the vaccine information. I hate complaining but sometimes it’s the only way to help yourself and other vulnerable individuals. We have enough to deal with without having these extra battles to endure :rage:

2 Likes

Hello @Lyn99 and well done for being so determined. Your perseverance sounds as though it will have helped lots of other people as well so well done! :clap::clap::clap:
I know what you mean about added stresses though - why can’t anything ever be easy or straightforward to ease an already stressful situation!
Anyway - to end on a positive - you really achieved something today so hats off to you.
You take care X

Hi @Lyn99, gosh you did well there and a really good result. That doesn’t take away from the fact that you should not have had to battle as you did and it is so, so stressful.
At least you can think that you have also helped the other CEV patients at your surgery.
You are so right that we and our families have enough to deal with. Take care of yourselves.

1 Like