Covid booster jabs for the household members of immunocompromised patients

Hi everyone, I would interested to know if anyone has been able to book booster jabs for any family members who are under 40. On nhs.uk it states that ‘people over 16 who live with someone who is more likely to get infections’ are eligible for as part of the initial JVCI priority groups.
However when I phoned 119 to ask about booking our son’s booster, as it is now over 5 months since his second jab, I was told that they couldn’t make a booking for his jab and that we would need to go through our GP. I do intend to phone the surgery next week but after the fiasco with the third primary dose I don’t hold out much hope for their response.

2 Likes

Hi @Kirsteen, sorry I cannot help you but perhaps be assertive and quote the nhs.uk guidance.
Please let us know how you get on and I await hearing the experiences of others.

1 Like

You can as I know someone who’s brother has COPD and although she doesn’t live with him she is in effect his carer going around each day and she was able to get COVID-19 jabs ahead of the general population based on this.However I think that you’d have to let your doctor know about it otherwise they wouldn’t know.

2 Likes

Hi @Kirsten, I’ve got the same problem. My son is 16 and had his second covid jab in August due to me being vulnerable. 119 said he would have to wait 6 months for the booster but I didn’t have much faith in the woman I spoke to. Gone back to my GP for an answer (nothing yet) but the official guidelines don’t seem to have considered younger people that had jabs early. I would be really grateful if anyone can find some official ruling that I could use to grease the wheels of covid vaccination activity. It disappoints me that I have had to fight and argue my case to get vaccinations for my 2 boys right from the start. :rage:

2 Likes

Hello @Lyn99 @Kirsteen. I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling to book the Booster for those family member/carers under 40. It does clearly state on the NHS website that you should be able to book after 3 months: Coronavirus (COVID-19) booster vaccine - NHS. We have taken this information forward to the NHS and are awaiting some clarity, we will update you as soon as we can. Have you called the vaccine centres to ask if they will give the Boosters with the appropriate evidence? Kind regards Gemma

1 Like

Hi @Lyn99, I feel exactly the same. It feels as if every step we have had to battle for the appropriate vaccinations for ourselves and our families! It does also state on the NHS website that the gap between the 2nd jab and booster is now reduced to 3 months.
Thanks @GemmaBloodCancerUK for taking this up with the NHS. I will try the vaccination centre directly as well as the GP early next week. Hopefully in the meantime they will give you more clarity about this.

2 Likes

Hi @GemmaBloodCancerUK many thanks for the info. I haven’t heard back from the gp as yet regarding my son’s
vaccine but I will contact them again next week and point them to the NHS website. Unfortunately as my son is under 18 vaccines have to be through the gp. The gp surgery always tell me when I phone that it takes time for any new rules to reach them and they are too busy, contact 119 etc. Completely unacceptable. I can’t believe that the NHS spent in the region of 220k for my stem cell transplant but the gp is willing to put me at risk by making it as difficult as possible for me to be revaccinated and my sons vaccinated, probably for a few pence.
Good luck @Kirsteen, look forward to hearing that things get sorted soon for you too.

2 Likes

Perhaps @Lyn99 and @Kirsteen it is worth making sure that you contact the Practice Manager.
Look after yourselves

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know that my son got his vaccine today. He is in his early 30s so was able to book his jab because of the changes in the system. @Lyn99 I hope your the GP gets back to you asap to sort out your son’s vaccine.

3 Likes

Well done @Kirsteen. My 16 has his jab on Saturday, gp got it sorted in the end. We booked my 18yr olds jab for Monday. Booked it at 2.00 this morning to make sure he got in quickly.

3 Likes

That’s good news @Lyn99. Yes the online line booking system was in overdrive when my son booked his, at one point he was about 9000 in the queue! At least that’s one worry off our minds and great to know that our loved one will have had their vaccines before Christmas and New Year. Take care and hope you have a lovely Christmas with your family.

3 Likes

Hi @Kirsteen, thankyou for your good wishes. Looking forward to seeing my son coming home from uni later today, covid test negative :slightly_smiling_face: wishing a wonderful Christmas to you and your family.

2 Likes