5th jab yesterday

I think there may already be a thread on this. Apologies if so, I can’t find it. I had my fifth jab, second booster yesterday. The process went very smoothly. I was just asked to show a letter relating to my condition to prove i was entitled to have it. My husband had his fourth jab at the same time
I was a little surprised to be told i would need another in 3 months time. Of course j am happy to have it if it really is necessary but i wasn’t expecting another until the autumn. Has this happened to anyone else?

6 Likes

Hi @ilivesunshine great news that you have had your 5th jab, mine is not due till after 20th April (3 mths after my 4th)
I have not heard anything about a 6th jab in 3mths, lets see if @BloodCancerUK has?
What vaccine did you have and any reaction?

3 Likes

Have my 5th jab next Saturday. Haven’t heard about any other forthcoming jabs until the autumn booster.

2 Likes

Hi, how do you know if you can have the 5th jab? No one has contacted me. I had my 4th in January. I don’t know who to ask about it. It was difficult to get the 4th to be honest.

1 Like

Hi @Kerrie I had my 4th vaccine at my GP’s on 20 Jan.
I was seeing the nurse at my GP surgery about something else this week and asked her about my 5th vaccine and she said my GP surgery would contact me around 20 April (3 calendar months after my 4th)
I wasn’t going to argue whether it should be 90 days, 12 weeks etc etc.
I am in no rush as I don’t know how long this vaccine needs to provide me with some or any protection.
Other people have been more proactive and booked online centrally.
Let us know what you decide to do and the outcome.
If you have a problem the Blood cancer UK support line for up to date assistance.
Look after yourself

I had Pfizer same as the other 4. I rang to check which one it would be before i had it. Next week they are using Moderna. I wouldnt have wanted to risk that having read the post about how it can affect platelets.
I felt very tired on Saturday and had a mild headache. Also my arm was sore.
I am still tired this morning but that could be due to being out dancing last night!
My vaccine is already recorded on my NHS app. Impressive!
I have just completed a weekly survey i do for Virus Watch. There was nowhere to record a 5th jab. The options only went up to 4 so i left it blank and have sent them a message about it.

1 Like

I read somewhere that you need to book it yourself on line as GPs wont be contacting anyone this time. Not sure jf this is just my area or countrywide
It was very east to book on line i was given a choice of times and venues. My husband booked his 4th jab and i booked my 5th for the same time so we were able to have them together. We arrived early and called in straight away… A very efficient process this time.

3 Likes

Hi Erica, I actually logged on to book a vaccine and after putting in my details it offered me a slot on 16th April which is 3 months after my last one on 15th January . I didn’t book it because it’s Easter Saturday and I can’t go that day. It didn’t offer an alternative so I’ll wait a while. It was reassuring that it would just let me book it though. I
The system obviously picks up my details. I’ll try again nearer that date and see what happens.

Do you know anything about the Evushield treatment or who can have it?

2 Likes

Here’s what we know so far @Kerrie but please be assured we are asking lots of questions to the relevant parties to find out more - Evusheld Covid antibody treatment - what you need to know | Blood Cancer UK

2 Likes

Hi @Kerrie, those aged 12 or over who have blood cancer or immunosuppression, can have a second covid booster (Spring booster), 3 months after their first booster (fourth dose). For many people with blood cancer, this will be their fifth covid vaccine dose overall. You might find our blog on the 5th jab helpful too - Why are people with blood cancer invited for a 5th vaccine dose (second booster)? | Blood Cancer UK

• In England, you can book your 5th dose (second booster) online.
  • In Scotland, the NHS will contact you to arrange your appointment.
  • In Wales, your Health Board GP will contact you to arrange your appointment.
  • In Northern Ireland, further details about how to book are expected soon.
1 Like

Good to hear you had your second booster yesterday and that all went smoothly!
The JCVI have said that a further booster in the autumn of 2022 is likely to be advised for people who are at higher risk of severe COVID-19, but we don’t know what this will look like operationally yet and in terms of when exactly this will be rolled out - though as always we will update the blood cancer community on our vaccine info page when we know more - How to book a covid vaccine if you have blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK

2 Likes

Just to add another data-point - I had my 5th jab this morning too, and also found the process to be pretty smooth. Like @ilivesunshine, I took and had to show some letters describing my condition, but it felt much more routine than some of my experiences last year where they weren’t really set up to deal with us special cases.

2 Likes

Just got this reply from Virus Watch

1 Like

Hi @ilivesunshine, interesting ???

1 Like

Hi @ilivesunshine thanks for sharing your response from Virus Watch on here - my colleague in the research team is going to see if they can contact the study lead to ask them to update their messaging around this as their current response may confuse people! Thanks again for flagging.

2 Likes

Thankyou. It will be interesting to hear their response.

3 Likes

Hi I had my 4th vaccine 22 December 2021 should I be getting my 5th now? I’m confused? I have lgl leukaemia not on any treatment atm watch and wait, just worried as covid cases are rising and worried immunity could have dropped? No one has contacted me to book? I do have letter from Welsh health authority stating I am high risk and in category 2. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Liz2 I will copy your post to @BloodCancerUK for you.

1 Like

Hi @Liz2 those aged 12 or over and have blood cancer or immunosuppression, can have a second covid booster (Spring booster), 3 months after their first booster (fourth dose). For many people with blood cancer, this will be their fifth covid vaccine dose overall.
This page might be useful for you - How to book a covid vaccine if you have blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK. It explains that in Wales, your Health Board GP will contact you to arrange your appointment. The roll is starting around end of March/early April so you may be contacted soon but don’t be afraid to give your GP a call about it too.
This blog might also be useful - Why are people with blood cancer invited for a 5th vaccine dose (second booster)? | Blood Cancer UK.

2 Likes