Spring booster from NHS Scotland

Has anyone in Scotland been contacted and given an appointment for the spring booster/fifth vaccine? NHS Inform site says to wait to be contacted and there appears no-one to phone. Consultant and GP have nothing to do with it. I gather in England lots of people have made their own appointments and actually had it. We seem very behind despite high numbers.

3 Likes

A great big welcome @Juliet from someone south of the border.
Locally they seem to be giving the booster to the over 75 yr olds and to people with compromised immune systems, but at least 3mths after their last booster.
However we are a post code lottery down here.
I will copy your post to @BloodCancerUK for their up to date information.
Look after yourself as yes, Covid numbers are high.

Yes appointments have been going out to the over 75s who had their last ones 6 months ago but I haven’t heard of anyone like myself who are immunocompromised and had the 4th in December/early January. There are plenty of appointments online - in fact I could get one today! - but site states firmly to wait to be contacted and I’m wary of making one and being turned away. If Blood Cancer UK have a contact in the Scottish NHS that would be brilliant!

1 Like

Hubby due his 5th in Scotland and was able to book online. Hes due on the 17th and we’ll go armed with info as usual and ‘fight’ if needed. We had no faith that a letter would come timeously. We hope the fact that he was able to book online means he is on the system as being eligible. Will keep you posted

2 Likes

@judesadventures take lots of special care of yourselves

Like you I have no faith in a letter appearing. I booked the 4th in January without a letter though of course I may have pre empted it! I’m inclined if nothing appears in the next day or so to do the same as your husband. What causes the most anxiety is that we have no relevant contact to check our status etc - the system in Scotland has been set up to keep the patient in the dark. However I would say that the actual vaccinators have been excellent with regard to me being high risk.

2 Likes

Hi Juliet,
I had the same question. I had my 4th jab on 31st December so am now eligible for a 5th. As you say we could easily book online and risk having an argument at the vaccination centre. I am hoping that the delay is them setting up a more personal system for each of us as individuals, rather than just being part of the COVID public health system (which is being dismantled obvs). Hope you get sorted soon. Malcolm

2 Likes

Hi @mrbio how are you doing?

I hope you manage to sort it out as well.

1 Like

Real confusion in our household. My wife is 80, slightly older than myself (cradle snatcher that she was!) but has no other relevant condition. She got a letter this week giving her a date for second booster/fourth jab. I’ve got ET, so expected to get letter also during the week. But nothing yet. Have had other issues to sort this week, so haven’t got round to doing anything about it. In the meantime, son-in-law in the next village, a fit 53 year old, went to Ireland for work, staying with colleague. Colleague tested positive the second day and S-i-L went down with Covid a few days later. Was quite poorly, so couldn’t fly home as scheduled. He’s now tested clear and hopes to arrive home today, so our daughter has headed off to work in Glen Finglas for a few days so he can isolate a bit longer!
Does make one wonder about the efficacy of the vaccine, as he’d had the first three by the end of last year.

2 Likes

HI @Juliet,
Thank you your question & a big welcome to our forum, I do hope you find some useful information & support from us all here.
As you have quite rightly mentioned- it is also our understanding that those eligible will be contacted by NHS to attend for their 5th vaccine ( spring booster). We are aware that letters have started being sent out and appointments arranged.
As you mentioned, it appears that NHS inform- Coronavirus (COVID-19) booster vaccination | The coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine (nhsinform.scot) does continue to stipulate that individuals eligible will be contacted.
I wonder if contacting the Scottish vaccination line on 0800 030 8013 would advise differently and allow people to be proactive in booking future appointments.
It is hoped that Scotland too will move to a booking online for this cohort also, but unfortunately for now it does appear to be sticking to the ’ we will contact you’ guidance.

Do Take Care, Lauran

1 Like

Many thanks for your reply Lauran. In fact yesterday I decided to stop procrastinating and try the help number although on both NHS Inform and scot.gov websites it said not to. The chap I spoke to was very pleasant but asked me to explain what a ‘high risk patient’ was and didn’t understand what immunocompromised meant. He then went on to say he was sorry he couldn’t make an appointment so that appeared to be that.

However to my surprise today I got an email saying an appointment had been booked. It was for 10 days ahead and half an hours drive away so I went online and changed it to Monday and a nearer clinic. This prompted a confirming email in minutes I have no idea if it was the phonecall which prompted the first one though there was a 24 hour delay. I assumed I’d get a blue envelope through the post. I will take lots of paperwork in case of problems and keep my fingers crossed.

I can’t understand the delay in sending appointments as I could have chosen from dozens of appointment times all next week. The system does seem to be causing unnecessary anxiety.

Thank you again. Hope you have a good weekend. Best wishes J

2 Likes

Yes my brother in law aged 79 got a letter early last week in Glasgow so although I don’t live there I hoped the high risk letters wouldn’t be far behind. If you look at my reply to Lauran beneath I have now got an appointment but don’t know if it was my phonecall that somehow prompted it. I just hope there is no trouble at the vaccination centre.

What bad luck about your son in law. Both my daughter and brother and now a neighbour this week have had it. All triple vaccinated but hopefully although all were poorly they escaped worse by having the vaccinations.

I hope you hear soon. Is it worth you going with your wife if she hasn’t had it yet? My husband came with me to my 3rd primary vaccine in October - he was due his booster about a week later but hadn’t had the blue envelope. They checked his details and then were quite happy to give it to him at the same time which saved a trip as that centre was rather distant.

1 Like

Hi @Juliet,
Thanks so much for coming back to me. It is disheartening to hear the lengths you had to explain your eligibility to the vaccine helpline but great news that your invitation was received. & you were able to arrange your booking. This is possibly fabulous coincidence.
Regardless your points are valid and we do hope the system is somewhat streamlined and made more accessible for many across nation out with England.
I do hope that your vaccination goes smoothly and you keep well.

Take Care, Lauran

2 Likes

Hi
I (immunocompromised 78) am in Dumfries & Galloway and had a phonecall giving me an appointment for 17/03/22 (no letter) Today my wife (80 but not immunocompromised) got a letter today for a ‘Spring Booster for over 75s’) with an appointment for 21/04/22. So something is happening in Dumfries & Galloway at least…

2 Likes

That’s good news. Odd not done by letter but important thing is you have an appointment.

1 Like

Just to update - I had the 5th vaccine successfully today. A lovely nurse who was out to help, but my lack of letter initially was a problem. She said their guidelines said they were still only doing over 75s. However she phoned her lead clinician and as I was 13 weeks from my 4th she was given authority to do it. She and I both wondered whether call centre chap had consulted someone after my call hence the email 24 hours later.

This was NHS Lothian. The vaccination centre was very quiet - only 2 other people came in during the half hour I was there with 2 vaccinators on duty. I queued there for an hour in January. The lead clinician apparently said letters were going out.

2 Likes

Exactly the same chronologically and medically as myself and wife. She got a letter a few weeks back asking her to come for jag in early-May. Nothing for me, so marched into local walk-in centre ready for an argument (though age meant I’d forgotten letters!). Friendly chap took me to the registering person, who looked me up on the computer and said, fine, do you want it now? Did I???
Went to sit and wait but was called in immediately, then register person said she’d made a mistake and would have to re-key me. Nurse said I was not there, but to wait a minute, and I apparently appeared! Got the jag, chatted about trees and totem poles with nurse and then away. Seems like we have to take the initiative, and hope the centre is helpful. Oddly, this centre was totally UNhelpful about the 3rd dose.

3 Likes

I live in Inverclyde Scotland and I’ve only had 2 vaccines 1 booster and my 2 Nd booster last week , I got my letter in for my 2nd booster as I’m on the vulnerable list…

2 Likes

Just to say hubby got his 5th jag yesterday with no issues. NHS Lanarkshire using half dose moderna (50mcg) as per jcvi recommendation. I did query the dose but happy with her explanation of following jcvi, this being equivalent to full dose pfizer and that he’ll be called for jag 6 as part of autumn/winter booster programme.

3 Likes