Can my 17 year old have booster jab?

Hi my husband had Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 2014 and was in the shielding and early vaccination group. Our son was vaccinated early because of being a family member and had his second vaccination in May. This means that he is now over 6 months. I can’t see anything about whether he would be entitled to the booster…His peers are just having their second doses now. Is anyone else in the same situation. I don’t know of I should be pushing for it for him or not.

1 Like

Hello and a great big welcome to the forum. That’s a really interesting question, @GemmaBloodCancerUK or @Alice_BloodCancerUK can you help.
How have things been for you all during these challenging times? :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Sallyanne, a good question. It explains on this NHS webpage, Booster dose of the coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine - NHS (www.nhs.uk) You can get a booster dose if you had a 2nd dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 3 months ago and:

• you are aged 16 or over and live with someone who has a weakened immune system (such as someone who has HIV, has had a transplant or is having certain treatments for cancer, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis).

It explains here, If you are a household contact or unpaid carer aged 16 to 39, call 119, contact your local vaccination centre or speak to your GP to request a booster vaccination, explaining that you are a household contact or unpaid carer and therefore in a priority group.

You or your son might find the two links within this post useful in your conversations with his GP. I do hope this works for you, but if not, some people have found it useful contacting their GP Practice Manager. As always, our support line team are at the end of the phone if you want to talk any of this through.

3 Likes

Hi @Sallyanne a great big welcome and thanks for posting such a good question that I hope @Alice_BloodCancerUK has clarified for you.
Nothing is clear and everything seems to mean us pushing for it when I am sure we have enough to do already.
We are a very friendly forum and the Blood Cancer UK support line are also there for you.
I look forward to hearing more from you and stay safe.

2 Likes

Hi @Sallyanne - yes, he can - I’ve been through exactly this! My son will be 17 in January and just had his booster (2 weeks ago, nearly 7 months after his 2nd shot). I agree the advice is very unclear (since what constitutes “an adult living with someone who is immunosuppressed”, 18+, 16+??) but I spoke to my GP surgery and they confirmed he’s eligible. I also raised it with my MP at the time, who emailed back the same answer. The text about it had come to my phone so I’d thought it was a mistaken one to me. Anyway good luck, prompt your GP if any difficulties!

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies. He has had it. I rang the drs on Tuesday and they got him in on Wednesday. There was no hope of a pros and cons chat with a Dr but anyway it is done and we are all very glad. Thank you for the encouragement

4 Likes