Exercise and Anaemia

Anemia
Exercise
Fitness

1 Like

I was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) Ringed Sideroblasts and and on Watch and Wait since 2018 and a few months after that needed red cell transfusions of 1 or 2 units every fortnight so my main symptom is severe anaemia. As a result, I found exercising difficult and unrewarding resulting in being a couch potato for 4 years. I lost a lot of muscle mass as a result. When I found myself struggling to pick myself off the floor, it brought home to me how terribly unfit I was.
I spoke to one of the haematology nurses about what I should do. She put me in touch with this funded group called Fighting Fit (Lincolnshire) which is specifically for people recovering from cancer. The fitness instructor is trained in working around our limitations to get the best results using a mix core and aerobic exercises over 45 minutes once a week. I’ve been doing this for about 12 weeks now and have surprised how much better I feel. In the last couple of weeks he was able to obtain a free referral for all of us to use the local municipal fitness centres so now I’m exercising 3 times a week.

5 Likes

Hi @Orm may I say how brilliantly and quickly you have built up your muscle and core strength and fitness again.
I have a different blood cancer but about 10 yrs ago I was referred to a similar type group.
It felt a bit like a boot camp with us doing a series of different core and aerobic fitness tasks in an hour.
It was brilliant looking back and did wonders for me and I felt so more energised, fit and better about myself. It got me out of myself.
A funny aside was that out of the 10 of us 3 of us were called Erica, which is quite unusual I can tell you.
I am now a great walker and Pilates girl now.
Please do keep posting how you get on.

2 Likes

Wow, it sounds like this has had a really positive impact, both for your physical and mental health.
What a great service and great for people to know about.
I love swimming and although sometimes an effort to get there (especially in the winter) I always feel so much better afterwards.
Please keep us updated on how you are doing :blush:

2 Likes