Feeling so difficult to get warm

Does anyone else feel really cold. I seem to find it so difficult to get n feel warm this year.

5 Likes

Hello @Ruth2. Thank you for sharing. I really feel the cold at times and find it is often related to my haemoglobin (Hb) level. I have myelofibrosis and my Hb is always low. When it drops particularly low, and I am in need of a transfusion of red blood cells, I feel the cold even more. One of the first things I notice after receiving the blood is that I feel warmer. Hope this helps. I do feel for you, it’s horrible to feel cold all the time. Warm wishes. Willow X

5 Likes

Hi @Ruth2. Did it start at a certain time or after a certain illness/treatment?

1 Like

Hi @Ruth2, I find I feel really cold sometimes, not always, during the day and have so many layers on that I look like the ‘Michelin Man’ and then sometimes really hot, especially at night, I always say that my thermostat is broken.
It cannot be hot flushes at 72yrs old, can it ???
Thanks @Willow your experiences are really useful.
Look after yourselves

3 Likes

I am always cold, I have thermal socks on, cords, and a jumper, with thermal vest, I have the heating on for 3 hours in the morning, and 3 hours in the evening, and I put it on for an “extra hour” if it gets cold during the day.
It’s on for an hour a day in the summer - and that’s only for the bathroom an main living room.
When I go out in about an hour to walk the dog, I’ll put on a lined coat, woolly hat, and fingerless thermal gloves
I live on the south coast of Cornwall, known for being wet - but not cold!

The price of my heating oil last week was a real shock, March last year it was £38.75 a litre, last week, it was £128 a litre,
I use 2,200L a year, (the average is around 1,800) so for all of last year it was £852 for heating oil alone, to £2816 for a years oil now, and electric for cooking, lighting, washing machine etc is on top of that - it was £950 last year, and I expect that to go up to £1400+.
and they say oil prices have a way to go yet
Not much mains gas in Cornwall, definitely not where I live, (in a 3 bed semi)
…and , if you can’t afford the min amount to order - min amount is normally 500l, they say…
We have Keroboxes available for smaller top-ups from £204.99 for 100 litres

Where’s the triple lock! - oh, and the money I make, making and selling tea cosies, will also mean I get hit by the pensioners NI that is being brought in this year.

Ho hum - looks like the knitting needles will have to go into overdrive - bonus point is that the speed might warm up my hands

2 Likes

Thku Willow maybe it is my Hb levels. I find i am v pale after the winter n iv antibs i got just after Christmas might not have helped. I hav follicular lymphoma so I will ask to get my iron levels checked n see. When i can bare it to face the cold i have thick tights n two skirts on n 2 coats n scarf n hat also. We went thro 900 litres of heating oil in 3 months so with working from home i have to cut back. I never felt the cold before. I was the one wanting the heat off so something as changed whatever it is in the last few months. Albeit it is winter.

1 Like

Heather. Keeping warm n the hike in fuel prices is definitely a challenge. We just keep knitting n working.

1 Like

Same here . I’m right this moment in bed with hot water bottle . My feet are so cold since being on chemo .

900 is a bit more than I use, 700-800 in the worst 3 months in the winter is about right for me - I used a lot more when we had the beast from the east… but Cornwall doesn’t get that cold, that often.
I think people will stop working from home, and go back to work in an office, if they can, when the bills start appearing, we are talking about an EXTRA £2,500 a year, and that’s without further increases!
If it’s the meds and your condition, I hope they can tweak it, so you are back the way you were.

It may be cheaper to go on a long cruise, somewhere warm, in the winter, rather than have the heating on at home!

2 Likes

Erica yes my thermosat is definitely up the left as we say here. My poor dog just doesnt get as many walks as i just cant make myself go out. Hot bath warms me up. Might take up light exercise to see if that helps. Thku for responding everyone.

3 Likes

Hi @Ruth2 I really find fresh air and appropriate exercise has really helped me. I have built up how far I can walk over time. It is a brilliant occupation if you are nosey like me. It is also a lovely time to start as spring is springing.
Anything is worth a try and you would also have a happy doggy too.
It could be a win - win situation !!!
Look after yourself

3 Likes

Yes me. I am always cold. We normally go somewhere warmer for winter but has been difficult with the covid situation. Got home from Spain yesterday so really feeling the cold today. As well as ET I have under active thyroid and scleroderma so not sure which causes me to feel the cold so badly. Also i have raynauds which makes my fingers and toes go white and numb in the cold.

2 Likes

Morning @ilivesunshine @Erica @Ruth2 @heatherthomas ,I hear that capsicum cream which is used to ease neuropathic pain also has a warming effect ,capsicum/peppers
So maybe its worth a try for the raynaurds cold fingers ,cold feet.
In winter I’m thermaled up lots of thin layers, climbing fleeces etc .I accidently shrunk one 0f my older hand knit wooly jumpers which felted it up but its great because its so close fitting.@ilivesunshine I previously recommended the support gloves i use for arthritis they are like a 2nd skin so maybe try those under usual gloves,to protect your fingers Just a few ideas .
Lovely warming sun today
Bannanacake

4 Likes

Hi @Bannanacake thanks for the handy hints especially the one for when I shrink a wooly jumper accidentally !!!

2 Likes

Thanks bananacake. Tried the capsium cream along with many other remedies. Didnt work for me. It is under control with slow release nephidine.

3 Likes

Hi@Erica ,this made me smile, I am laughing at myself because it was quite a struggle getting the jumper on /off every day but it did the trick.
Ive also got lots of other things ive made from old shrunkup woollies and I shall think of you now whenever I use them :smiley: I hope that you are well and enjoying the sun.
Bannanacake

3 Likes

Hey @Bannanacake got any tricks for grey undies that started off, and were meant to be pearly white, I use them as my ‘bottom’ layers so nobody would ever delve that deep. I am like a pass a parcel !!!

2 Likes

Hello @Erica Im more of a "wooly"person ,however i do use white vinegar,lemon juice ,bicarb soda for cleaning (if I can be bothered)It creates a lovely fizz!!
So if youre bored one day @Erica you could perhaps soak your greys in the vinegar and watch the transformation ,but as you say its unlikely anyone will see them :wink:
Youd better check Ms Google for the ammounts :smiley: of white vinegars .Think we need a new thread for “Creative and handy hints”.

1 Like

Thanks @Bannanacake you are full of handy hints.

1 Like

I keep warm through the day but as soon as I stop in the late afternoon/ evening I cannot keep warm. My daughter’s My Little Pony blanket ( 35 years old and doing well) comes out and I tuck it over my lap and round my feet and then rush to put it way if the doorbell rings!
What I have found good is a ‘hot Rox’. It is like a big plastic pebble that gently gives off heat. It can be plugged into a electric socket or car charger. Good for winter walks tucked into your pocket.

4 Likes