Flu vaccines, can we, can’t we, are they a risk?

I work for a company that offer flu vaccines every year. Being on hydroxcarbimide daily are these vaccines a risk? I just want to know.

2 Likes

Hi, I have been on hydroxycarbomide for about 4 yrs and always get my flu jag with no side effects, hope this helps. Can I ask do you get any itching with your cancer.

1 Like

Hi. I have had the flu injection for 10 yrs. The last two years there have been two versions (as well as nasal version for children): one is for over 65s, and one for those with compromised immune systems, children and young adults with asthma, diabetes etc. It might be worth checking with your CNS or doctor. Hope this helps

1 Like

Have had the vaccine since before diagnosis (I’m 75 and diagnosed with ET six years ago). Never noticed any ill effects apart from getting shingles suspiciously soon after first occasion. But when I worked out the probabilities, that’s statistically likely to be chance.

1 Like

Had my flu jab yesterday, the only side effect was a stiff arm after a couple of hours but went off after another couple.
Was allowed to start re-vaccination 2yrs post SCT & instructed to have flu vaccine every year.

2 Likes

Some useful information from Leukaemia Care about vaccines here, which may help https://www.leukaemiacare.org.uk/support-and-information/information-about-blood-cancer/living-well-with-leukaemia/the-flu-jab/. Have a chat with your GP or haematologist, it’ll be very personal to you but the vaccine isn’t live, and may offer protection if your immune system is low either from treatment for blood cancer or the blood cancer itself even if you’re on watch & wait.

2 Likes

I actual spoke to McMillan nurses and the only slight risk they identified was the live child’s vaccine

1 Like

Thanks for this information about the flu vaccine, I’ve had mine and so has my husband. How are you medically and emotionally?

Had flu jab every year since 2 yrs post SCT. No problems! Thankfully.

2 Likes