Covid jab and flu

Hi I just wanted some advice really. I have et and on watch and wait so just having 6 monthly blood test checks at present. On my recent call with my consultant he mentioned me having the covid booster as I had said had been poorly recently with pharanjitis and previously to that flu type symptoms. I’m dubious about the covid booster and worried and also I don’t have the flu vaccine should I be having the then?

3 Likes

Hello @Suzysue75. I have a different Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN), Myelofibrosis which I have lived with for thirty years. My excellent GP (who has since retired) recommended I had the flu jab the year after I was diagnosed and I have been having it ever since. I have also had all the Covid jabs to which I am entitled. Sometimes I have a bit of a sore arm afterwards and feel achy for a few days but it’s not bad and much better than having flu or Covid. Obviously the choice is yours but I hope that reassures you. Warm wishes Willow x

3 Likes

Thanks for your help and also wish you the best and hope you are keeping well x

1 Like

Obviously the choice is a personal one as to whether to have them or not. My consultant recommended I get both so I have had them; I chose to have them one week apart rather than both together as I thought that might help my body cope with them. As it was I didn’t have any side effects from either. (It was my jab no. 8 Covid jab).

3 Likes

Hi @Suzysue75 great to hear from you again.
This is a very personal reply, not a medical one.
I was diagnosed 19 yrs ago with another blood cancer and I have been a very lucky girl and always been on watch and wait.
Originally my GP advised me to have an annual flu vaccine, which I have always had.
I have also always had every Covid vaccine that I have been entitled to i. e. 8.
I have not personally had any adverse reactions.
It is a personal decision and it has to be the right decision for you.
Please do keep posting and take lots of care of yourself

3 Likes

Hi @Suzysue75 . I have Essential thrombocythemia (ET) and react badly to several vaccines that make me really poorly. Nobody can advise you whether or not to have the vaccines, it is a decision that you will have to make yourself, based on your own experience. I do understand how you feel though and hope that you will make a decision that suits you best. This blood cancer is no easy journey is it, so I send you my best wishes and hope you are coping well at the moment. :tulip:

3 Likes

Much like @Erica has replied the choice is a personal one. I have lymphoma that has just recently relapsed and I am expecting to start chemo in two weeks.

I have already had my eighth covid jab two weeks ago and I will have my flu jab on Saturday.

I did have get covid but with very mild symptoms in 2022. My husband though was very poorly. I put this down to having had five vaccines when he had received only three.

I had no side effects three weeks ago and I know I am preparing myself as best I can for chemo in a few weeks the last thing when the immune system is compromised that I want is a dose of covid or flu.
If you are concerned ask your medical team for their advice.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I am going to speak to my consultant and see what he says. I am like you I have essential thrombothycemia. Thankfully at the moment I’m just having 6 monthly bloods to keep eye on the platelets. Hope you are keeping well with yours and not needing the treatment yet. Best wishes and thanks for the nice reply

2 Likes

Thanks for your help and replying. Hope you are doing okay and long May it continue

2 Likes

Thanks for your help and hope you are keeping okay

1 Like

Wishing you all the best with the chemo and thanks for your kindness and help x look after yourself

2 Likes

Hi @Suzysue75

I have Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) and as a result of this have low neutrophil and white blood cell counts. My medical team recommend me having both Covid and flu vaccinations. Consequently, I had my flu and eighth Covid vaccination last week. I’ve had Covid twice now and I believe being vaccinated prevented me ending up in hospital with it.

As everyone says here getting a vaccination is a personal choice. I would also say it’s important to consider on the extent your immune system is impacted by your own particular condition and your medical team can advise on this.

Take care and remember we’re all here on the forum whenever you need to discuss any issues that you are worried about.

All the best, Peter

3 Likes

I have had the flu vaccination for the last 6 years

My personal choice for covid jabs is that I’m postponing them at the moment after my second and final stem cell transplant.

I am still shielding and not exposed to many people.

1 Like

No medical advice just personal experiences -My husband has Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) & Essential thrombocythemia (ET), he has had 8 Covid vaccinations & all his flu ones since diagnosis in 2010. I’ve had 5 Covid courtesy of living with him as I don’t qualify yet on age/med hx alone. Neither of us have ever had any adverse effects other than the usual side effect of slightly sore arm or feeling bit washed out for a day. The only person I know who’s had an ‘adverse event’ was not due to to the vaccine but poor injection technique where the needle was inserted far too high on arm (the shoulder is a complicated piece of engineering). Person had problems with the arm/shoulder & needed steroid injection. Obviously any vaccination or medical treatment is a personal choice. Hope you gain some help from here in making your decision, best wishes. P.S he is only on W&W for Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) &Hydroxycarbomide for Essential thrombocythemia (ET).

2 Likes

Hey @Suzysue75, good questons! I’ve got Polycythaemia vera (PV), a slightly different Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN) to you, but I had the latest COVID-19 vaccination yesterday (my 4th, or is it 5th) after having the flu one a week or so ago. So far it’s all good, apart from the usual sore upper arm from the COVID-19 injection, like @Willow and others mentioned. My nose is a bit drippy today and I feel a little spaced out, but not fatigued enough to stop me going to a concert later, so I hope that helps!

1 Like

Enjoy your concert @Duncan
Look after yourself

1 Like

Aww thanks @Erica! Obviously I’ll wear a mask in busy places like music venues, regardless of their air conditioning or spaciousness, but especially with this snotty nose!

1 Like

I went to a theatre for the first time since Covid this afternoon and I sat at the end of a row and I was only person in a mask, and then also on the tube and train. @Duncan.
I saw Private Lives with Nigel Havers and Patricia Hodge, it was brilliant.

2 Likes

Ooh what a great treat! I’m glad you’re getting out and about too, dear @Erica. We need culture in our lives, if we can access it. So enriching!

1 Like