Flu Vaccine

Good evening all.
@BloodCancerUK_Nurses, I wonder if you can help.
Myself, my husband and my 14 year old daughter have had the flu vaccine. This isn’t offered to my 17 year old in sixth form.
We have read all of the guidance and it says people who live with somebody with a weakened immune system should have it. I read this as if you are in treatment, not if you are in active monitoring. It wasn’t really as clear cut for me when I was reading it like it was with the Covid vaccine
She is willing to have it but always reacts really badly to vaccinations and is quite poorly for a few days. I don’t want to put her through that if it’s not necessary. Although 17 year olds can have the nasal spray - not many places offer it, so thought it would be worth asking. Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @Nichola75
I will let @LauranBloodCancerUK and @Heidi_BloodCancerUK our experts reply.

I don’t think though that the nasal spray is available for adults the guidelines here it says that all vaccines are given by injections?

It does say eligibility though is about living with someone who has a compromised immune system. ( not necessarily in treatment)

Hope you get this resolved. It’s a worrying time everyone seems to have something right now !

2 Likes

Thanks @Jules.
Hard isn’t it because I don’t want to make her unwell but I know she’s prefer to have biting needed x

3 Likes

Hi @Nichola75,
How are you all? Thank you for asking this.

It is somewhat of a tricky one, as it is very much an individual decision on side affects versus risk for your eldest.
It is advised that those living with someone who has a weakened immune system should be vaccinated against flu. (This typically means irrespective of treatment status)

You are absolutely right about the flu nasal spray vaccine & it is just as effective as the injection. It is licensed for children and young adults aged 2- 17- however the difficulty may lie in accessing/requesting the nasal spray specifically. This can simply be due to clinical discretion/ stock availability across areas.
Have you had any joy in seeking advice form your practice nurse at the GP surgery at all?
I wonder if possibly talking with the school nurse/immunisation team might also be helpful.

Take care,
Lauran

3 Likes

Yes, please do let us how you get on with this dilemma @Nichola75

Thanks @LauranBloodCancerUK. I’ll give the local immunisation team a call tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. Will keep you updated :blush:

4 Likes