Grandson age 4 diagnosed with ALL

My grandson age 4 (will be 5 in a few days) has been diagnosed on 30th July with ALL.
He has started his Chemotherapy. My heart breaks for him and i wish i could take his place. At the moment he is terrified of all the blood taking and has so many bruises and puncture marks. I am doing everything i can to help including looking after his younger brother when they need me to. But i still feel helpless that I cant take all the pain and trauma away. Its going to be a long hard road :sleepy:

5 Likes

Oh @Kazza0411 my heart broke for you when I read your post, it must be so, so heartbreaking to be so powerless and not being able to take your grandson’s pain away.
You obviously love him so much.
It sounds as if you are doing everything you can just being there when needed and especially looking after his younger brother as he probably has so many thoughts and feelings of his own.
Perhaps you are the one doing the very valuable job of keeping everything going at your and their home.
I find this is a supportive space for me to say how it really is for me, and in some way it helps me, please do use it.
The Blood Cancer UK Support Line is also there for you on 0808 2080 888.
Perhaps you are doing a very valuable role and doing everything you can for your grandson, he also has a medical team and loving family around him.
Please do keep posting how you are all doing.
Be very kind to yourselves

3 Likes

Hi @Kazza0411 and welcome to the forum.
I can only imagine what a difficult time this is for you and your family. Watching your grandson being in pain and scared must be so hard to see.
It sounds as though you are doing everything you can at this moment in time.
I’m glad you found the forum as this is a place where you can share how it really is for you. It can be so difficult for everybody and we all need support.
I can see @Erica has given you the support line details. It can be really helpful to talk things through.
In the meantime, please keep posting. We are all here for you x

2 Likes