Hair Loss Today

@Lyn99 - mine is different but then there are so many blood cancers :confounded:.
So I’ve been on 4 cycles of Azacitidine (each cycle is 7 days of 2 injections in lags tummy or arms; so 14 in total each cycle). What it’s supposed to do is bring down the number of immature cells (blasts) and give your own bloods a chance to recover. Well it zapped the blasts but zapped my blood production too ! So having no immune system meant I spent about 7/8 weeks in and out of hospital with horrid fevers and infection they couldn’t name. But my hair only thinned and became fragile.
But now, as long as the blasts are still low, the procedure is I get admitted and started on 3 v strong chemo drugs.
Hair will depart from platform 9 with delivery of Fludarabine, Busulfan and possibly Thiotepa; all of which affect, stop or destroy the production of the DNA that my leukaemia cells need to replicate and, as a bonus, take all my hair too.
Yes. That’s the part where I will ‘feel more ill that you have ever felt in your life’ according to consultants. But after 8 days I get donation from brother, and fingers crossed engraftment may happen. I’ll have no immune system again, so any visiting may be in full hazmat suits :rofl::scream: or at least fully gowned and masked.
Addenbrookes is in Cambridge/Cambridgeshire which is virtually 40-50 miles due north of London. I live to the east, between Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds, which are in Suffolk.
I used to live in Windsor, so Swindon wasn’t so far away … fortunately never visited the hospital though. :kissing_heart:
I will keep in touch as much as I can, and would love to hear how you progress xxx

2 Likes

Good grief @ChrisCKW sounds pretty gruelling. Not sure the consultants are giving you the most encouraging suggestions about how you will feel!! Funny you say about the hazmat suits, that’s what I thought but I get the impression that people can visit me as long as they don’t have viruses. They think that I am more at risk from viruses or bacteria that are already present within me. My husband comes from Windsor, it’s a small world. As an observation, about 90% of my hair has now gone off my head but all other completely useless and unwanted hair including a long black whisker (that needed the big tweezers) and big toe hair is still firmly anchored in, what a delight :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Try to relax and enjoy the next few weeks, will keep in contact xxx

2 Likes

@Lyn99 - I couldn’t sleep last night, I came on here, read your hair/whisker/toe comment I was giggling and far less grumpy!
Oo what’s hubby’s first name? John? I knew some Johns and some David’s :rofl:
Off to hospital today for line flush and dressing change on my picc line. That will be coming out and a Centre line going in on 27 august.
Have a good day - practice makes perfect with the wig (or at least I hope it will)
I think my consultant may be trying to encourage a realistic approach to the procedure, it is a hugely risky thing still even though this improve all the time.
Xx

2 Likes

Hi @ChrisCKW , The big toe hair and whisker did come in useful after all :grin: Hope all goes well with the picc line today, haven’t had that pleasure yet, although I think I may go straight to a central line? I bought some arm pic line covers but unless my sphynx cat wants them as a very tight bo*b tube I don’t think they will be required. My husband is an Andrew…Have a lovely day xx

2 Likes

Hi @Lyn99, I’ve had the big toe hair and whisker images imprinted on my brain, I now have this image of your poor sphynx cat sporting a very fetching, if very tight, bo*b tube.
My husbands called John if it helps @ChrisCKW but he was born, bred in Kent !!!

3 Likes

@Erica :grin::grin: I do sound like a monster…lucky I haven’t added an image!

2 Likes

I agree @Erica - the image of @Lyn99‘s Sphinx in a bube* tube is an unexpected delight! What is your Sphinx called @Lyn99 ?

I had my picc line fitted when I was ill in hospital - I ran out of places for drips, transfusions and blood tests.
Apart from the faff of weekly flush and dressing change it is so much simpler.
I bought some cat b00b tubes too, but sadly despite getting the petite size they just slide down my arm and one hand looks like Madonna’s gloves from the early 80s. Hospital tubigrip works well at first, but that becomes loose too after a while.
Hoping my butt doesn’t throb quite so much in the night - bone marrow sampling isn’t my favourite thing.
Xxx

• really? b00b is censored. just as well I didn’t want to say :duck:

Ps don’t think I need a list of husband names …but it has made me smile xxx

4 Likes

@ChrisCKW @Erica Until recently, I bred sphynx cats so I have Mallow, Crinkles, Millie, Damson, Mr Sharkey and Pippie Longstocking + some hairy ones!
Bone marrow samples are the worst, they always do the same side as well. I feel that if asked them to alternate they would throw me out! Does anyone else have the courage to demand such a thing? Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgic Madonna tribute. Wore another wig today, getting into this now. I’ve decided it’s just a hat with hair…It was quite windy today and I was a bit worried about how it behaved in the wind so I did end up looking at my reflection in car windows on my walk but realised after a while that I looked like a prospective car thief so probably best to take out a small mirror with your first wig so you can just check it’s not looking extra boufon in the wind :roll_eyes: wig tip of the day…
I too thought it was funny that bo*b was censored. I did show an ankle when I went out walking today, I hope no-one will be offended. I can’t believe Chris said :duck:I’m going to have to have a lie down…xx

3 Likes

I alternate! I’ve now had 2 on right and 2 on left. I bruise so crazily that even after 6 weeks the bruising from the last but one BM sample is still there. So at moment it goes puncture on left cheek, bruise on left cheek, bruise in centre of spine and clear but fading bruise on right cheek. Like a crazy version of dot to dot.
I just ask if I can swap and the pillow gets flipped to the other end.
I have a damson tree and make jam and chilli chutney from it (though that won’t happen this year). I also love Fergal Shearkey (cos a good heart is hard to find … sing along) so I’ll have those two as my distance adoptive cats please.
How cool would it be to be seen as a car thief - gone in 60 seconds - rather than a slightly nervous self conscious new wig strutted! I’m definitely going to aim for the car thief look. Somewhere I have Madonna’s old leather jacket too!
Have a good Wednesday everyone, and @Lyn99 ill be you bail! Xx

3 Likes

I like to say :duck: on a bad day, it feels like a good way of releasing stress from the poopy situation I’m in. I also sometimes say :poop:ship or 8ugger. I’m a bad one :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I love it, @ChrisCKW you are a wild one. The distance cat adoptions are finalised. Damson is blue like the fruit, Sharkey is his Dad and more grey, hence the names :smiley_cat:. I am inspired by the pillow rearrangement for the BM sample. If I feel courageous I’m going to ask next time. I do quite like the nitrous oxide though, I wonder If I can wheel out the machine without anyone noticing next time. Would be great to use when hubby is telling me an interesting work anecdote :zzz:
Strangely enough I’m having my few strands of hair cut this afternoon as I’m very similar to The Phantom of the Opera when Christine wips his mask off. Just hope that I have some left by the time I get there, could be embarrassing! Wish I’d had it cut short beforehand. Strong chemo likes to lull you into a false sense of security by leaving your hair alone for 2 wks and you start to think you’re the one person that isn’t going to be affected
:flushed: what a twit…Have a good Wednesday everyone x

3 Likes

What is this nitrous oxide of which you speak? No drugs offered at either hospital for me! :scream: No alcohol either for that matter!
How did your trim go? Sending approving hugs. Xx
Right, I’m off to visit an open garden this evening - I figure with most people watching the football :soccer: it will be quiet. But I’ll take my mask and plague bell with me just in case.
Have a good evening - may pop on later xxxxx

2 Likes

Hi @Lyn99, how did your haircut go, I like to get value for money not to come away working out how much per hair it has cost me.
Do you get home quicker because you are now more 'Hair’odynamic.
@chrisCKW, you bad one, I am sure my swearing is getting worse. A plague bell is a good idea I wonder if I have an old bicycle bell or perhaps I prefer the thought of a town crier’s bell.
Oh, yes, some nitrous oxide sounds good, Oh, @ChrisCKW you know what to ask for if you have to have a BM again. I don’t like to tell you but I have a mental image of your bruised ‘cheeks’, you might benefit from a whoopy cushion. Enjoy your open garden.
Oh, this thread has really given me some mental images and made me laugh and not swear.
Does anyone else want to share their experiences.

3 Likes

@ChrisCKW, @Erica Also known as gas and air or Entinox, dulls the pain when you have a BM biopsy, you need to ask the doctor to arrange for it before hand but I wouldn’t turn up for the procedure without it!! does make you a bit emotional afterwards but wear waterproof mascara and you’re well away.
Trim had to turn into a no 4 shave as more hair departed particularly on the top, ugh. It looks awful but the wig is doing its job, even the hairdresser liked it so that’s a winner. Thanks Erica for the terrible joke, it made me giggle. I was ok on the cost, she didn’t even charge me, nor for trimming my other wig, what an angel. I burst into tears this afternoon because she had been so lovely. Then she started crying too​:sob::sob:
Chris, have you got your new wig yet I’m a bit of a convert? I dont like the beanies so much as I have what they call a spam forehead which isn’t a pretty sight!
Have a lovely time at the open garden. Stay Safe ring your bell and cough a lot if anyone comes near you…xx

4 Likes

2 Likes

So beautiful, so soothing.
I’m still giggling @Erica thinking of a cost per hair, then I felt for @Lyn99 - kindness undoes me. I can joke at myself, play the fool or ignore unkind comments but genuine compassion melts my exterior shield. Your hairdresser sounds brilliant.

No wig yet, but I’m not in need for a few weeks.

Garden was absolutely stunning, but I walked my legs off!

See you tomorrow xxx

2 Likes

Hi @Lyn99 I am nearly in tears at the kindness of your hairdresser too, what a lovely person.

1 Like

How lovely of your hairdresser :heart:

2 Likes

Such beautiful pictures! X

3 Likes

@ChrisCKW @Erica @Nichola75
Chris this looks idyllic and can’t see any people, what a bonus. The hairdresser is brilliant, she works from a converted garage one client at a time, takes temperatures and sanitised everything, what a star. Although I wont need her now for a while :disappointed_relieved: Just looking back at this thread, I was so upset at the beginning and all your support and Chris your humour particularly has been just fab. I can look at myself in the mirror without feeling dreadful, I can stick on my wig and go outside and you have all given me the confidence to shine despite feeling so grim at the start. Now has that made you all cry too…

3 Likes