Having covid with mgus

Hi, just a quick question. I’m a 50 year old female that was diagnosed with igm monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) 12 months ago, which has remained stable. I’ve just recovered from a dose of covid and I wonder has anyone had an increase in proteins after covid making their monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) progress? I only ask because the proteins were first noticed in my blood after the first time I had covid, so it’s probably just made me overthink.

4 Likes

Hi @LC23 and a big welcome to the forum.
I have a different blood cancer so wait to see if others have experienced the same.
What I can relate to is the overthinking. I think we are all guilty of that!
Have you mentioned it to your medical team. I was curious on their thoughts?
I hope you are recovering well. How are you keeping?

4 Likes

Hi, many thanks for you welcome and kind reply. I never knew there was this lovely helpful forum, but how nice it is to sound off inner thoughts without feeling silly. I’m due to have the next full blood screen in 4 weeks and meet with the team then so I will await to see then if it’s changed, I was just wondering if anyone else had also experienced if covid changed there blood results ie HB, paraproteins.
Hope you are doing ok too, how long have you been a member here? and thank you again xx

3 Likes

Oh @LC23 I am so glad that you have posted. I cannot answer your question, but what I relate to is overthinking.
Perhaps many of us have minds that go flying off in all directions. My thoughts and emotions have been on high alert ever since I was diagnosed.
I think your medical team are best to answer your questions as they know you and your whole medical history.
However perhaps Covid and its effects are still largely unknown
Please let us know how you get on and look after yourself.

4 Likes

Hi@LC23 hello ,I am definitely prone to overthinking as @Nichola75 and @Erica have said but I definitely did notice some changes in my full blood count after having had Covid last Summer but also changes do happen anyway and could be co incidental .I have come to realise unless the results are shooting off, or way under the mark it is just a blip.

My IgG Kappa result was increasing before Covid so that didnt affect it.

I am at increased risk of infection because of low immunity so I am always aware of this.

@2DB posted a link for Myeloma and monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) A guide for GPs which you may find useful.I have that plus the monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) diary.Www.myeloma.org.uk
Hope that helps

5 Likes

Ahh thanks your kindness is much appreciated.
My history is I was fine with perfectly normal bloods last May 2022 (with a HB of 136) had covid a few weeks after those bloods. The next set of bloods showed paraprotein, lambada free light chain, and a HB of 7 (I was unwell by this point) I’ve had a blood transfusion and 3 iron transfusions within the last year but the paraproteins have remained the same. I’m reviewed every 3 months so it’s good any changes will be picked up quickly, but I just can’t help thinking covid had changed things in the past and will it again this time.
My dad also has Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and had 3 rounds of chemo for 3 different flare ups.
I will read the link with interest.
And once again thank you all for your kind replies, I’m just so glad I came here now to air my thoughts.
I wish you all health & happiness xx

3 Likes

Hi @LC23 ,
Just come across your posts. I’m also an overthinker but I definitely think there is a link with COVID. I had it in January 2021 and I went from healthy person to someone whose health fell of a cliff! I have had various ongoing problems since and seen neurologists, dermatologists, haemotologists and nobody could tell me what was going on. My immune system seems to have gone into overdrive and I’ve recently been referred to an immunologist as my body reacts to many medications I never had problems with until COVID. I was diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) by accident 18months ago after my GP went back to square one. I have Igg lambda and on watch and wait every three months.
I hope you are feeling ok at the moment.
Look after yourself.
Hugs Alex

4 Likes

Hello.
I started having hives after 2nd phizer COVID vaccine.
I had them appearing daily. Antihistamines didn’t work.
I did some privet blood test.
And paraprotein was detected at 1.8g/L and my light chain were just slightly above the norm.
I had numerous consultations with hematologist, allergists dermatologist.
Most likely the vaccine triggered some abnormalities in by immune system.
In the end I got steroids.
monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) itself can start after many infections.
I discovered monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) in 2021. They say that my monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) is stable but all tests done are gradually getting worse.
I’m 41.
You may stay at the stable level for many many years. If your light chain ratio is close to normal than this is a good prognosis and you should be low risk to develope the MM.
After the phiser COVID vaccines I had 3 modernas. And did not see any visible hives.
There is also a possibility that there is something wrong going in my body and that it was just coincidence.
monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) can be detected in many patients with auto immune diseases.
Are you under the hematologists care?
Do they do regular checks?
Look after yourself.
A.

1 Like

Hello again,
Just to make my point clear.
It is very likely that the COVID caused some changes in your immune system hence monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) started. But it may be a coincidence.
This is difficult to prove.
I know that in Iceland they randomly test huge amount of population to control / detect the monoclonal protein. Maybe their study will tell us more about monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) and MM.
monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) can be stable for many many years. And may never turn into MM. Or it can suddenly progress.
Unfortunately my paraprotein and abnormal light chain ratio puts me in high risk of those of developing MM.
I have been having some serious back pain since February. And for a few months pain in my feet too.
I am generally getting a bit depressed.
This disease and MM is very difficult to understand.
It has many many faces.
People with MM are usually diagnosed very very late as symptoms are not specific.
I feel a little let down by my hematologist.
I only had a chest x-ray on NHS due to my pain.
And some ribs and bones are not even visible well on the x-ray.
What is your experience with your care and support?

I apologise, I now read all your posts. And I can see that you are regularly tested. It is important. I hope you will have a good Christmas.

Take care

2 Likes