Hi ppl New here && recently diagnosed

Hi everybody, im new here and recently just been diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome at just 28 which is very rare for my age im still awaiting further genetic tests
to come bk yet which will be the middle of jan 2020 treatment options may be either
chemo or a stem cell transplant depending how high risk i am of my illness transforming
into acute leukemia, i have been ill for 4 years with no real proper diagnosis from the hospital and as much as im not very surprised its cancer its still very hard to come to terms with.

2 Likes

Hi, a great big welcome to our community forum, the last 4 years must have been really horrible for you feeling ill, but with no real proper diagnosis, at such a young age. Although being younger means you will have different practicalities, I have found one of the values of this site is that we all share similar fears, thoughts and feelings and this is a safe space to do so. As you can see if you would like to talk to someone the Bloodwise support line is above, it will be closed on the bank holidays. I look forward to hearing what it has been and is like for you, take care.

1 Like

Hi Beckie If you have explored the forum you will find that one of the problems of blood cancers is that they take ages to diagnose and Bloodwise is campaigning for things to be improved. If you click on the 3 lines at the top you will find different categories that may help you. One is dealing with a recent diagnosis. There is also information on the Bloodwise website. I notice that you are in Birmingham, and this is one of the centres where a lot of research is going on. I was treated in several Midland hospitals (though missed the QE) and they are very good, sharing information with haematologists in different hospitals in the area. I hope things become clearer for you in the New Year. Best wishes

2 Likes

Hi, it definitely is a lot to take in! I hope you find this forum helpful. It’s a great place to share X

2 Likes

Welcome @mozza1! :smiley: I hope you find the forum friendly and welcoming. Our support services are here if we can be of support to you during this time. How are you feeling at the moment?

1 Like

Hi Mozza, I’m sorry it’s never a good time to find something like this out. I know I felt like someone had punched me in the gut when I was diagnosed with luekumia in Feb this year. I was only 30 and my only option was a stem cell transplant.

I found the chemo regimes pre transplant more manageable than I expected. These forums are great to blow of steam and gain some much needed advice from like minded people! Xx

4 Likes